Friday, November 09, 2007

Holiday blues.....

Does anyone else get really bluesy this time of year? Or is it just me?

I get really stressed out over buying gifts for so many people. Then there are my kids. I think to myself, "Did I get them something good? Is it what they want? Did I spend the same amount on the both of them?"

I think that I really miss loved ones at this time of year.....especially my Granny. I miss her calling me to see what our plans are. I miss her telling me the menu that she's provided for Christmas Eve. I miss walking into her house and smelling Heaven. I miss her providing some slippers for me when I forgot them. She'd always say, "You don't want to walk on my cold floor!" I miss her sharing stories of her church. I miss her complaining about putting up Christmas lights and then putting up a TON of them anyway. I miss hearing her car driving into the driveway. I miss seeing her with Kyra. I miss her voice.

I guess I'm just going through some stage of grief. They hit me at various times. I'll get through it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think feeling that way is normal and completely understandable. The stress gets in the way of our ability to have fun. That must be why so many Christmas movies/stories are about cranky adults needing to rediscover how it all looks through a child's eyes.

I used to get bluesy. It was always because I "didn't have anybody" special (romantically) in my life at any holiday. I finally decided to just get over it. I realized my favorite thing about it all is visiting family that I don't get to see very often, catching up on the gossip, playing cards around the kitchen table late into the night...

I think traditions are important and part of what we anticipate and enjoy so much. Maybe you guys need to start some!

I was just about to blog about how I realized today that we probably won't put up outside lights this year. We didn't last year because we only had one outdoor outlet and started too late. Kevin tried to do the lights the "old-fashioned" way instead of my dad's way (staplegun) and then wasn't satisfied with how it turned out and took them all down.

We were supposed to have had the $ to wire in some external outlets and been able to decorate this year.

Nope.

And since the house is on the market, do we, or do we not?

And because of that, do we haul out the indoor decorations at all, or just skip it?

Do we request they not show the house while we're travelling for the holidays, or do we take the chance that everyone else is busy celebrating and nobody will come by?

I'm sick of this. In the almost 10 years I've lived outside of my parents' home, I've only been able to put up outside lights twice. Once at our apartment, and once at the trailer house.