Friday, October 05, 2007

So much for that uniqueness....

When it came time to think about names for both of my girls, I had two criteria:

1.) The names had to be short.
2.) The names had to be different or unique.

Of course, I wanted to choose pretty names that would flow well with a middle name and our last name too.

I haven't had issues with Kyra's name so far. If anything, people pronounce it KIER-A instead of KY-RUH. So, we just politely correct them.

But when Kyra started school, imagine my surprise when I find out that there's a little boy in her class named Kyle and a little girl in her class named Kyleigh.

How confusing is that? LOL!

At least they aren't the same names!

I can't wait to see what Maeve will encounter with her name. Either the teacher or the teacher assistant at her school keeps spelling her name, "Mauve".

She's NOT A COLOR! ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the hell? They're teachers and they can't even spell? Who's in charge here?

Kim said...

I know! If I were a teacher, I would make it a point to pronounce and spell all names correctly....including last names! Maeve is not that hard to say and spell. I just don't get it.

I want to say something, but I don't want to come across as rude. Plus, it's freakin' preschool. I have seen her name on a few things that have come home and it was spelled right. Plus, on everything in the classroom, her name is spelled right. So that's a plus.

Chelle Y. said...

When Brendan was in four year old kindergarten, there was another little boy named Brendan and one named Brandon in his class. They called them "The Three B's", Brendan Y, Brendan B, and Spidey! :)

Now, that was confusing too! To this day, the Brendan's still call each other by their last name initial, even though they are in separate schools now!