Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Weekend tidbits....

Went to my hometown for a 4 day weekend (sister and BIL had a baby shower on Saturday). Lordy, that town (I refuse to call it a city) has changed....or has it? Hmmmmmm.....

-There are STILL a TON of old people driving the streets, which is both hilarious and annoying. You see more brand new Cadillac cars in that town than anywhere else. And OMG are the streets the WORST anywhere. I thought that Austin had bumpy streets. I was wrong. They SLOWLY fix them there. It takes a year or two, but they get the job done. The construction crews there could never build a tollway. Even the thought of that job would make their heads explode.

-I think I went to Ghetto Mall three times. I NEVER go to Ghetto Mall while I'm there. I hate even looking at it. But I HAD to go. Thank God Maeve was not with us when there were like 5 HUGE moonwalks set up in the middle of the mall for kids to pay for to play on. Ugh. And Sunday when I went there, I had to pee, so I used one of Ghetto Mall's bathrooms and people WOULD NOT move out of the way to let me into a stall. One lady was changing a diaper. Another was washing hands. Still another was just checking out of the scenery. I wanted to scream, "Get the heck out of the way!" I wish I would have had my sister with me. Pregnant woman having to pee + people not moving out of the way = some sort of altercation. Sweet. I do have to add that Ghetto Mall has quite a lovely smell (not!). I guess I'm officially a "mall bitch" now. ;)

-The price of gas dropped tremendously while we were there. We got there on Friday and most places had it for $3.80-$3.85. Saturday, it dropped 10 cents in one day. When we left on Monday, we filled up at HEB Plus for $3.69 a gallon! SCORE! We come back up here and it's back to paying $3.92. WTF?

-The humidity down there is stifling. And the mosquitoes? OMG. I was standing in the grass at my dad's house and they were swarming around my legs. HORRIBLE. I guess maybe that 8 inches of rain that they had the other week didn't help that situation at all. LOL!

-I attempted to find someplace to get a pedicure on Sunday. Ghetto Mall's one nail place had a 3 hour wait. And the people at JC Penney were just plain rude about it with a resounding "No!". And do you think that any of the other nail places in town would be open on a Sunday? Oh hell to the no! Ugh. I think I'm spoiled. Instead, I waited and went to my sweet little pedicure place here in town today. Pure bliss, I tell ya.

-I seriously am bothered by the fact that I encountered so many unfriendly people in that town in such a short period of time. I'm definitely not used to it. My little town spoils me. In fact, I walked into Walgreen's here this afternoon and was approached by 2 or 3 people asking me if I was "finding everything alright." I just love it when people actually do their jobs AND are friendly. It really makes a difference.

I don't know when my next trip to my hometown will be. I hope it will be a more pleasant experience next time. Or I might have new things to bitch and moan about! ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, man... what a nightmare!.

Missed you guys! It was too quiet around here!