Thursday, November 06, 2008

I've been silent long enough....

I usually DO NOT want to bring up things like this because I like to keep my blog free of such harsh issues, but because I'm so damn angry about it, I have to vent.

I'm hurt, sick, and upset about all of the racist texts and emails that I've been receiving about our President-Elect. It really saddens me that such an issue still exists in our world today. Here we are, generations later, and racial tensions and slurs STILL exist. I don't get it. I do not understand why people are so ignorant. African-Americans are people just like you and I. Only they struggle to just be themselves because they are looked down upon all of the time....all because of the color of their skin. There are no words to describe how utterly sick I feel about this.

My dad is one that talks badly about them and I have BEGGED him to NEVER mention that talk to my girls. They should NOT have to hear someone that they deeply trust and care about say such hurtful things. I want to teach my girls that color doesn't matter. We are all equal in the eyes of God, so why shouldn't we be equal in each others' eyes?

Kyra's best friend is half African-American. She's also adopted and I think that makes her even more special. She comes over to our house several times a week. In fact, tomorrow evening, I'm taking her and my girls to see a movie. I love her to pieces. Kyra and Maeve adore her. Do I even think about her color? HELL NO! It doesn't matter. She's a person just like you and me. She should NEVER be discriminated against.

I guess since we live up here around Austin, we are more aware of different cultures. I have very unique people that come into the gyms and into my classes and I embrace each and every one of them for who they are. Most of them are very interesting to me and have such great stories to tell. I think that having them in this world just makes it that much better.

And I didn't want to mention this either, but both Richard and I voted for Barack Obama. I sat down and seriously took a look at all of the issues and where I stood on them. And I agreed with most of what he wants for our country. I voted for him because I believe that he will do a great job as President. I never even considered the color of his skin. I bet half of you ignorant people out there don't even know that Obama's mother is Caucasian. Yep, she's as WHITE as you and I.

So please stop all of the hurtful nonsense. It's bad enough that you send it, but it's worse that you are having a racial influence on your children. Because yes, they will grow up with the same beliefs that you have and the cycle with never end. There doesn't have to be racism in the world. Let it stop with you!

And let's ALL get behind our new President and support him for the next 4 years!

PS- Did you know that Sarah Palin didn't know that Africa was a continent. Seriously? Now that's ignorance!

1 comment:

Krishna said...

I'm right there with you. People say mean things and forget that God created everyone equal....our bodies all feel pain, our minds all get hurt with nasty remarks, and our hearts all feel heartbreat. I hope our kids' generation never notices the color of someone's skin.