Saturday, September 24, 2005

Dodging a bullet.....

Well we were pretty much spared by yet another hurricane. The scary thing is that they keep hitting more and more westward, so maybe next time we won't be so lucky. I pray that this season ends soon. It's been way too busy and catastrophic.

On that note, I'm sick to death of the people on some of the Houston TV station message boards criticizing officials for making them leave and then criticizing the forecasters for not making the right predictions. Um, with EVERY hurricane, we know that these things have a mind of their own and they'll go in where they want to go in. These people should just be thankful that they have their life to savor and a home to go back to. I think we all learned a lesson from Katrina in that you MUST be prepared and ready to go because you never know when the "big one" will hit and you never know what kind of damage it'll do. As much trouble as it was for everyone to get out of there, I'm glad they did. I hope that they are glad that they left too. Better safe than sorry.

I'm speechless when it comes to poor New Orleans. I really don't know what to say. The levees didn't hold and the city is under water again. It's so disheartening. It makes me wonder if this is God's way of telling them not to rebuild. But if you don't rebuild, then what are you gonna do? Let the city be part of the Gulf? Plus who's going to want to go back to live there? That's a tough situation. I pray that God watches over everyone working down there and that God watches over the people who are starting new lives elsewhere.

Richard's family came to stay here for a few days when we thought that Rita was going to hit closer to Victoria. My dad went to stay with my sister. Lisa and my uncle went down to Victoria and collected all of the photo albums. When they called me that day to say that they had done that, that's when it hit me. One of these things could wipe out my entire hometown. Scary. Very scary.

And to my Aunt Rita....I still love you. :)

No comments: