Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Kyra, the babysitter.....

It's no secret that Kyra is a very independent little girl. She thinks that she can do everything....everything from dressing herself to getting something to eat by herself. Can you already see where I'm going with this? ;)

This morning I left to teach at the downtown gym. Richard was resting in our bed and Maeve was napping. Kyra was probably either playing on the computer or watching tv. We've never had to worry about her wrecking the house if we are asleep. We trust her a lot and she's just not the type of kid to make a huge mess.

The monitor stays in our room, but either it was off or Kyra turned it off. In any case, Richard didn't hear Maeve and she woke up. He didn't hear her, but guess who did? That's right. Her sister did. So imagine Richard's surprise when he gets out of bed and see Maeve sitting in her Bumbo seat in the living room! He said that he almost had a heart attack. Kyra said, "See, I can be Maeve's babysitter!" She had gotten her out of her crib and carried her into the living room. I've played that scene over and over in my mind and the thought puts me on the verge of a panic attack. I absolutely cannot believe that Kyra picked Maeve up! Maeve is probably about 17 lbs. now. I'm grateful that she got to her to the Bumbo safely, but what if she would have dropped her?

Richard and I sat Kyra down and told her that although she's a HUGE help with Maeve around the house, she SHOULD NOT ever pick her up. I told her that she can "babysit" without picking her up. Bless her heart though....she was just trying to help and be the wonderful big sister that she is.

I swear there's never a dull moment around here.

1 comment:

Jen said...

OH MY....WOW....oh my...I can imagine the look on Richard's face! I'm glad everything turned out ok...maybe you should put a doll in Maeve's crib and have Kyra "re-enact" how she did it, just so you'll know what happened.

Good for her for being such a responsible big sister...I think...

Ugh. You got more spam.