Friday, April 08, 2005

The bun is done......

That's right. As of Saturday, April 9th, I'm 37 weeks. I don't know if many of you know it or not, but after 37 weeks, a baby is no longer considered a preemie and hardly any babies born after this time have major health problems. So let the wait officially begin! My due date is April 30th and I'm hoping to go into labor on my own before then. Here's the thing. Since I had a c-section with Kyra, I cannot be induced. An induction would mean labor being brought on fast and hard and they don't want to risk uterine rupture. By going into labor naturally on my own, the risk is lowered because it's your body making pitocin and not the actual drip itself. So, two things could happen. I could go into labor on my own or end up with a c-section. I'm hoping to deliver before my due date because after that, the baby will be bigger and there will be more talk of a c-section. Last time, I endured 22 hours of labor before resorting to a c-section, so we'll see what happens this time. Kyra was born with a HUGE head that my body didn't want to deliver. When I got a glimpse of her for the first time, her head was cone-shaped. I knew that she had gotten stuck in there and my pelvis wasn't big enough for her to come down. So, she was probably destined to be a c-section baby. Then again, she grew like a weed because I ate everything under the sun and gained 40+ pounds. I'm MUCH smaller this time and have only gained 26 pounds. So, a 7-8 pound baby would be nice. I go in for an ultrasound on Monday to find out just how big Maeve is. Of course the rate of error on an ultrasound is something like 15%, so she might not be as big as they think she is. We shall see.

Until then, just say a prayer that the baby comes out healthy and happy. That's about all I'm worried about right now.

No comments: