Wednesday, June 22, 2005

A worn out welcome.....

So I watched The Real World-Austin last night. I mean how could I not? All of the places shown last night are very familiar to me. I just wanted to see what it was all about.

I have to say that this is a group of crazy kids (yes they are kids to me because I'm nearing 30! LOL!). Within the first 20 minutes of the show, two girls were kissing each other on a dare. Lovely. The 2nd half of the show included 2 of the male castmates almost getting arrested and one getting in a brawl bad enough to send him to the ER with a fractured bone near his eye. Yeah, they're really smart.

One thing I've noticed is that the first episode of each season is pretty much run the same way. The cast members arrive and are in awe of their new place. They meet each other and congregate in the hot tub. They immediately are talking about who is going to hook up with who. It's actually kind of "blah" to me. I think that in essence EVERYTHING has been done on this show. There's nothing surprising to me. There's been gays, lesbians, rich, poor, cowboys, sorority girls, frat guys...the list goes on. It's all very redundant to me. The cast last night seemed to be outspoken and "daring" because they know that's what's expected of them while being on the show. I just don't know how much is "real" and how much is "fake" anymore. I know there's a LOT of editing going on because they air 22 30 minute episodes and they lived here for 5 months. So, a lot doesn't even make it to air.

All in all, I think the show's days are numbered. It's in its 16th season right now. It's the granddaddy of reality shows. But it's kind of like "Friends" or "Everybody Loves Raymond" in that there's only so much you can do with a show. Then it's time to leave.....or is it? I guess it's still popular because there are people out there like me and when curiosity kills the cat, they get viewers tuning in to see what the roomies are up to.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks for the update! I looked at the website today and decided I wasn't missing much. 96.7 KISS didn't even say much about it on their radio station webpage.

How's the real world life at your house? Is Richard's mom still helping out there? How has life been since he went back to work?