Wednesday, August 13, 2008

I have strange kids....

So I'm sitting here at the computer and they are in my bathroom for a.long.time. I thought that they might be doing each other's hair or something (which isn't unusual on a "good day" when they are nice to each other). Nope. They were doing the hair of their little dollhouse mommy and baby. All I could smell was Febreze. Yep, they sprayed Frebreze in their hair to "wetten" it. Oy. Water would have done the job too. After all, there was a sink RIGHT THERE.

This takes me back to the days when my sister and I used to do our Barbie's hair and dress a TON of them up and play "wedding". We'd even BEG my mom to take pictures of the wedding party and the bride and groom (Barbie and Ken). She did!

We spent hours upon hours playing with Barbies. We had the Barbie Dreamhouse, a car, a jeep, a swimming pool, and two or three little suitcases full of clothes.

It's a shame that Barbie's popularity is now a bit different. My kids watch movies like "Barbie Fairytopia" and "Barbie Mariposa". There are now video games and computer games with Barbie in them. Only I don't think she looks like Barbie at all anymore. She's some computer generated doll that I don't recognize.

I'm really thinking of buying my girls more "true" Barbie stuff so that they can understand the phenomenon a little bit better.

But I have to tackle Maeve's closet first. And that's going to be a big task.

Ugh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to take the imagination and creativity right out of Barbie, right?

We always took ours outside, turned the hose on in Mom's flower bed to create a "lagoon" or some other exotic waterside location, set up the Barbie pool & grill, set up our Barbie cases (complete with beds, closets, accessories...), got out Barbie's 'vette, and her horses... Man, that chick had it all! The front yard became her fields, pastures and ranchland, the sidewalk was that glorious interstate to anywhere our minds wanted to go... my neighbor boy came over with the Barbies he borrowed from his granny's toybox- and Barbie went to the disco, and watched soap operas... those were the days.

Kim said...

Geez. I wish that we would have been friends when we were little. You and your sisters' imagination sounds a lot like ours!

I'm getting all kinds of deja vu now!

Anonymous said...

You should totally hit up resale shops, antique shops, thrift stores and garage sales for old, legit Barbie stuff.