Monday, September 01, 2008

There are no words....

So we have been watching Hurricane Gustav coverage all weekend. This was a conversation between Richard and I yesterday.

Me: "They give these hurricanes such stupid names. They need to come up with names that are more up to date. I wonder who the genius is that comes up with these names."

Richard: "But I thought that the first person to see the storm is who they name it after."

OMG! WTF? Dude, are you for real? I really wonder where he thinks this "person" is. LMAO!

I went on to explain that they have lists that they alternate every 6 years (the Atlantic and Pacific each have their own lists). These storms aren't named after anybody. If a strong enough storm hits that does widespread damage, then they retire the name. Yep, the name Katrina will never be used again. I am shocked that Claudette is being used next year again. It hit the Texas coast in 2003. My dad had 100+ mph winds at his house. It came in as a Cat 1, but with research, they did find that it had some Cat 2 winds.

Honestly, if I were naming hurricanes, I would go down the alphabet and give them names of people that I don't like. LOL!

More about naming hurricanes:
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/HAW2/english/basics/naming.shtml

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

My husband is an idiot. He should be embarrassed. Shoot, I'm embarrassed for him. I'm weather-obsessed. I guess I need to give him a few pointers. ;)

No comments: