Tuesday, January 02, 2007

I need St. Blaise.....

St. Blaise is the saint to pray to for throat illnesses. Well I'm praying to him now. I will never take him for granted again.

I have strep throat. If you've never had it, you're lucky. It's the worst kind of sore throat imagineable. It has inhibited my ability to swallow....even swallowing saliva hurts.

My sore throat started on Friday night. It only got worse. I worked out on Saturday and just felt really weak. My legs hurt. My back hurt. I just thought that I had overdone it.

By Saturday night, things really weren't right. I wasn't sleeping very well. I was up a lot during the night to use the bathroom, which was unusual. By Sunday morning, my back was killing me. I was running a low grade fever. My throat hurt so bad. My fever peaked at 101.7 and by Sunday night, it had broke. I later found out that that's probably when I was most contagious. Great.

Sunday night, I slept bad again. By Monday morning around 5:00, I had enough. I was scheduled to teach a special class on New Year's Day downtown at 10am. I figured that I could be in and out of the ER by then and at least show up downtown. I had a long wait in the ER. I finally got back and into an exam room around 8:30. Before that, I called my manager to tell her that there's no way I could make it down there in time. So we just cancelled the class. I was thankful for that.

Finally, a doctor came in to see me. He swabbed my throat. They also took a urine sample. I was in the exam room for what seemed like ages. Even a nurse came in and took my vitals again! FOUR hours had gone by! Finally, another nurse came in and said, "We're gonna give you a penicillin shot." I said, "Positive?" She said, "Yep, you have strep." Great. So I got a lovely shot in the beeehind. LOL! I got a prescription for Vicodin too (always LOVE that). Finally, I was discharged.

What time did I get there? A little before 6am. What time did I leave? Around 11:30am!!!!!!

I have no idea where I might have picked up this germ. I do know that my immune system needs help. I've been sick many times lately. Hopefully this is it for a while. And prayers and fingers crossed that the kiddos don't get it.

I'm feeling a bit better today, but I'm weak. I did sleep better last night....for the first time in 3 nights. I should feel better with every day that passes by. I can tell that the penicillin has already kicked in.

Richard just took the kids to our former neighbor's house to play. They've been couped up here for a while. I'm glad that he got them out of the house.

Kyra goes back to school on Thursday. Thank God. She's driving me nuts and counting down the days. She's so excited to go back.

As for me, I have to rest for a while. Nothing for at least 3 days.

Hope your new year got a better start than mine did.

No comments: