Thursday, January 04, 2007

Something I'm thinking of doing this year.....

In high school, I hated to read. I only read the novels that we were assigned because I HAD to. I also confess that I bought Cliffsnotes for all of them. I skimmed through the books and then read the Cliffsnotes. It must have been enough to get by because I passed. LOL! Actually, I did more than pass. I was an A student in English. To this day, I have no idea how.

What I'm getting at is that I read A LOT of books in high school, but I don't remember most of them. I'm thinking of checking out each of those books and reading them again and seeing if I enjoy them more as an adult. Crazy, I know. I think as an adult, I've come to appreciate the opinions of others a lot more. After all, adults WROTE these books. Would a 17 year old appreciate the opinion of someone in their 40's or 50's? Most likely not.

So if you want to discuss books like Animal Farm, The Great Gatsby, Great Expectations, Catcher In The Rye, The Hobbit, Lord of the Flies, Of Mice and Men, 1984, The Scarlet Letter, A Tale of Two Cities, To Kill A Mockingbird, and Wuthering Heights, then let me know. I have no idea which one I'd start with. Any suggestions?

We'll see if this actually happens though. I have to cram a lot into my busy life. ;)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I read them all...the year AFTER graduation. LMAO! I hated the idea of reading them in school and used Cliff Notes as well. Turns out, ALL those books were really great. I enjoyed each and every one.

Jen said...

I reread Great Expectations and To Kill a Mockingbird at least once a year... those are my two favorites.

I love Lord of the Flies, though... I just don't read it as often...

Actually... I'm in a Great Expectations kind of mood. And I want to watch the 90's movie version of it again...

Kim said...

Thanks Emma and Jen! I just have this urge to go back and do it. No pressure. No tests. No grades. Just me and this book. I just want to see what I'll get out of it this time around.

I'll have to visit our local library soon and see what I find.

Kim said...

Well Chelle that's good to know! I'm kind of excited!