Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Back into the swing of things....

Well Maeve is almost 3 months old and after having the entire summer off, I'm going back to work in August. I start teaching again next week and then I'll go back to work at Dodd Studio on August 2nd. It'll be nice to get back into a routine, but gosh am I dreading leaving my baby! Here's what's going to happen.

I'll work all day on Mondays and Tuesdays and Richard will be home with the girls (it's his days off). On Wednesday, I'll teach my class downtown. I'll be off on Thursdays and then I'll work on Fridays and take the girls to Mona's (our old neighbor) and she'll keep them. So, the week will be broken up a little.

Still, Maeve is so used to mommy that I'll worry. She and I have FINALLY stepped into a wonderful nursing relationship. Those first few weeks weren't easy, but I think we're where we should be now. I love it and I know that she does too. She's 12 weeks tomorrow and I always told myself that I'd at least try it for 12 weeks and if didn't improve, then I'd stop. Now there's no way I could stop. We both enjoy it so much.

I know that a lot of people think that nursing is just for nutritional means, but it's really more than that. It's a way for a mother and a child to bond and build a trusting relationship. It's a means of comfort to her. It's also a self-esteem boost for me. Nothing makes me happier than to look at her and realize that she's growing and thriving both physically and emotionally because of me. This time around has been so different. I say that I regret not nursing Kyra, but I really think that formula feeding her was the best decision that I made at that time. I was not emotionally ready to take on a HUGE task like breastfeeding. Breastfeeding isn't for everyone, but I encourage those even thinking about it to try it out. Things are very tough for the first 6-8 weeks, but then they improve dramatically and it's smooth sailing! It's so beneficial for both mother and baby.

So within the next month, I'll be really busy so I apologize if you don't hear from me too often. I promise that I'll try my best to answer emails and keep in touch!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey! Good luck with everything! You'll settle into a routine. That's the major concern with kids. Get them into a routine, and keep, them there. Then they're less likely to get upset. I thought Maeve was gonna go with you and sit in the bouncer for a while, though. Anyway, sounds like you have a good plan in place. I know Mona will be thrilled. And it's great that you have the same person who watched Kyra. No worries.
What a blessing. Now tell Richard to get off your case!