Thursday, July 28, 2005

How much is too much?

We had an interesting poll on my message board yesterday. It was titled "How many kids do you think is A LOT of kids for one family?" I had to sit down and think about this. I have two kids and am done having kids. Three kids doesn't seem unusual at all to me and neither does four for some reason. So, my vote was for five. I don't have anything against people having tons of kids....each to his own. But, if I saw a woman in Walmart with five or more kids in tow, I'd probably be like, "Wow, that's a lot of kids."

I wonder what the average number of kids per family is in the US. I bet it's three or more. While the cost of raising kids gets more and more expensive, I don't think that's keeping families from having them.

My mom and dad are both one of three kids. All of my grandparents had two or more siblings. Big families were very common back then. They needed help around the house and on the farm.

We've been in this house for a little over two years and I'm already convinced that we've outgrown it! LOL! But as Richard says, "We ain't moving for a while!"

2 comments:

Jen said...

Growing up, we knew this lady who wanted 12 kids. She had 3 when we met her and had more over the years. She didn't stop at 12, either. Last I heard, she's still giving birth. I think "too many" is whenever the older kids start raising the younger ones. It means mom is in over her head. If a kid has to give up his/her childhood or too much freetime to help be an adult and a parent, that's not fair.

That lady who's always on t.v. that names all her kids with the letter "J"- she has too many. I can understand 5 or 6, any more is too many.

How does a person keep doing that to their body?

Kim said...

It's not fair. I had to grow up really fast at 14. It's not fair to have to cook for yourself, wash and iron your clothes, go to the grocery store (my dad drove me, but still), etc. I hope that my kids NEVER have that burden placed upon them. That's why I pray to God every night to keep me healthy.

I've had 2 c-sections now and although I'm done having kids, I doubt that my doctor would recommend me having a lot more. There's only so many surgeries I can have.