Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Congress vs. baseball.....

I love baseball. I really do. But, what the heck is going on lately? The latest dispute is steroid use among players. Congress has forced MLB to drag players like Mark McGuire into this huge mess. I honestly feel sorry for Mark McGuire. He retired a while back....hoping to bow out gracefully. Instead, his "past" comes back to haunt him a few years later. So he doesn't want to talk. Fine. You know who else didn't want to talk? Bill Clinton. But he lied to the American people on national television and he was PRESIDENT! Poor Mark McGuire is just trying to keep a low profile and now they are trying to threaten him with remarks of never being inducted into the Hall of Fame. That's crap. Bottom line: He more than likely took steroids. So has probably at LEAST 10 players off of every bench in the MLB. He just got picked as the "bad apple" to talk about it. So what if he doesn't talk about it. It's not like the world will end if he doesn't speak up. Who cares. I certainly don't. I don't know if they are trying to bring a lot of publicity to baseball before the season starts or what, but I'm sick of hearing about it.

Also, the MLB and the players' union has agreed NOT to do random testing for steroids, although I have no idea why. If that's the #1 drug that players are all on, then why not do it? There are other sports that test for performance enhancing drugs. Why on earth should baseball be any different? Blood tests should be mandatory to pick up human growth steroids. Peeing in a cup ain't cutting it anymore. If there's no proof that any of these "picked on" players have taken steroids, then they have every right to keep their mouths shut. Heck, I'd take the drugs too if I knew I'd never get caught!

Rant over. Can you tell how mad I've been about this the last few days? LOL!

2 comments:

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

I liked the comment that one ex-player/senator said about how when he was in baseball, players got worse after age 32, instead of better.

I read a scary article on the plane about how rapidly steriod use is climbing in high school. It said 7.3% of all 9th GRADE!! girls questioned admitted to using it, and that girls are using it because it burns up bodyfat so quickly. It increases their strength, too, but their using it to keep their young girl figures.

UGH!