Tuesday, March 08, 2005

My husband likes the ER.....

So, yesterday I was calmly working with Janet until I got a call around 5 in the evening to "come home NOW." It was Richard. He said that he was hoping to make supper for me, but it got cut short (literally). All he told me was that he cut his thumb and he thought that we should probably go to the ER. He told me not to "fly" home though because it wasn't too bad. The bleeding had stopped. He didn't want to look at it though (Richard is notorious for passing out...isn't that lovely when I'm going to have a baby in a few weeks?). So, I came home and we got everyone into the car and headed to Austin. We dropped Kyra off at Mona's (my lifesavor) and then headed to South Austin ER. We checked in around 6 and waited forever. Finally, they took him back. I didn't go back there with him. He waited back there for a long while because he kept IMing me and calling me from his cell telling me that nothing was happening yet. Long story short, we didn't get out of there till after 9:00. By the time we picked up Kyra, got a pizza, and stopped for pain meds., it was 10:00.

The verdict: 6 stitches. When we left the house, Richard told me that he thought that he probably needed 1 or 2. Yeah, I knew that he just said that so I wouldn't freak out. They have to be in for 2 weeks. They were very nice though and gave him a script for vicodin. Lovely stuff. Really. When I had my c-section with Kyra, I LOVED vicodin! So, he's resting today. Kyra is at school and I'm about to go downtown to teach my step class.

When I called Richard's mom last night, she said, "What did he do now?" She just knew! LOL! Mother's intuition, I guess. See, Richard is no stranger to the ER. While we were waiting, he was *trying* to count the number of times he's been there to get stitches. I think we came up with about 4 times. He's spent more time in the ER at just 27 than most people do in their lifetime. His mom said when he was little, they were always making trips to the ER because Richard had done something....usually that something wasn't just a minor cut or sprain. He's got scars to prove it!

Richard kept apologizing for me having to wait so long in the ER for him to get out of there. No problemo buddy. In a few weeks, you'll be waiting on me! ;)

1 comment:

Jen said...

WELL! I WONDERED why I hadn't heard from you! I'm glad Richard's ok, but I'm sorry you had to go through all of that hoopla! It's the thought that counts, right?