Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Once a parent, always a parent......

I've been thinking a lot about Kyra and this new baby and how we'll all adjust when the time comes. I keep wondering if my heart will be big enough for the both of them. I know the love will just multiply and my heart will grow with room for the both of them. But, I worry. Parents worry. Parents will always worry no matter how old their kiddos are. I got to see that firsthand within the past few days. Not one, not two, but three of my cousins have all had accidents since Friday. Two were airlifted to Brack here in Austin. Luckily, they are all fine and are home. It's made me realize that I won't be able to shelter Kyra and Maeve forever. They'll grow up and drive and be out till all hours. I know it's rather premature, but it's something that I think about. I know it'll happen one day. And I'll worry just like all parents do.

Kyra was sick the other week and I felt so helpless. Her little body just had to fight so that she'd get better. The thing that keeps crossing my mind was that she was SICK, not HURT. I feel for my aunts and uncles that had to endure that pit in their stomach. I can't imagine how that felt. It honestly scares me. To see your child in pain has to be the hardest thing in the world. When I see a child stricken with cancer, my heart breaks. My heart not only breaks for them, but for their parents as well. Ugh. Life isn't easy. I'm sure I'll learn that even more as the years pass by.

We are all lucky in this world. We have food and shelter and the company of wonderful family and friends. But, one of the things that you should always thank God for is your health. Without it, you are nothing. I'm so thankful that God rested his hands on my cousins during their accidents. Things could have been a lot worse. I'm just glad that they are all ok and hope that they heal very soon.

No comments: