Friday, March 25, 2005

Easters of yore.....

Well, it's Easter weekend. Kyra is really into it this year. That got me thinking back to Easters of long ago when I was a kid.

We were always in Schulenburg at Granny's. We would go to the Easter Vigil mass. Before we would leave for mass, we would take those old cardboard beer boxes (remember those? Roxie or Lisa might.) and we'd make a nest of Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes in them. We'd leave the Easter Bunny a note and then come back from church with our boxes full of goodies! Yeah, it wasn't really hard to guess who had put the candy in there. My Granny didn't go to church till Sunday morning, so she was the guilty one!

Other years, we'd all gather at Granny's for a fish fry on Good Friday and we'd have our family Easter Egg Hunt that evening with the Mendel's and the Munsch's. Some aunts of mine (coughGlendacoughSandracough) would be extremely nice (read: mean) and hide the eggs high in the trees. I still don't understand that one. I was the only taller one at the time and of course, the oldest. I wanted my cousins to get just as many eggs as I did. I guess they thought otherwise.

Aunt Mary Lou and Uncle Willie's was the place to be on Easter Sunday. We'd go there from Schulenburg. Since they live on a farm, you'd never know what might happen. We did hunt candy outside...although I have no idea why because everyone was too stinkin old. ;) Lisa and I are the youngest! We'd have water balloon fights. We'd go up in Mark's room and snoop. It was always interesting. Ahhhh....the good ol days!

We aren't doing much this weekend. We have a 40th birthday party to go to on Saturday evening. Sunday, we'll go to church across the street and hang out here at the house. My dad is coming up to see Kyra. I'm nesting really bad right now, so I assume that I'll do some cleaning and organizing this weekend. Tomorrow makes 35 weeks! Just 5 more (or less! ACK!) to go! I can't believe that in a few weeks Kyra will have a little sister and Richard and I will have 2 kids! (Gasp!)

Happy Easter everyone!

2 comments:

Jen said...

We used to spend Easter weekend at my great Aunt Nell's farm in Edna. She hosted a huge family reunion where everyone that couldn't fit in the house brought trailers and pop-up campers and parked all over the lawn. It was the one time each year where we saw certain cousins. There was always a huge hayride (so the adults could hide the eggs) and egg hunt, but our favorite thing to do was go down to the cattle pens and play. We loved slamming the gates shut, making our own "clubhouse" or fort and not letting the little kids in. We'd spend all day hanging out in those holding pens- talking, climing up the old telephone pole (it had the ladder rungs already stuck into it), locking each other in different cells... We thought we were so cool.

Kim said...

Jen, that sounds like so much fun! Reminds me of some of the crazy Christmases we used to have! Plus, Edna is just down the road from Victoria!