Thursday, November 04, 2004

Fit for a dog.....

Yesterday, I posted about Kyra. It's only fitting that today I feel like posting about Mia! Where do I start? Well, Mia is going on 5 precious years with us (time flies!). I really cannot believe it. It seems like yesterday that Richard left a note at the house for me saying that he went to go get a puppy. I'll never forget that day. He came home with a box and in it was the tiniest dog I have ever seen. I've never had a dog, so I had no idea what to do. We went to Petco and bought her a crate, some toys, and some food. We warmed up towels for her to lay on (and she STILL likes to lay on laundry that's just come out of the dryer). We put her in our tiny bathroom at night and heard her cry like a baby. We all of a sudden felt like parents because she cried on and off all night long.

One weekend when Mia was about 2 weeks old, we went to Victoria to a wedding. My sister insisted that Mia sleep in the bed with her. And so it began. Mia has been our sleeping buddy ever since. I love it. I never worry at night anymore. I'm not scared. I have a built-in security blanket and guard dog! Granted Mia's bark is bigger than her bite, but the stupid people that come knocking at my door don't that! Mia chases them away and I don't even open the door!

People often where we came up with the name Mia. Before we had gotten her, I was up watching Leno one night and Jennifer Love Hewitt was on there and she brought her chihuahua on the show with her. Her name was Mia. I fully expected Richard to come home with a male dog, so imagine my surprise when he comes home with a female and asks, "Well what do we name her?" I said, "How about Mia?" He said, "Mia....I like it!" And so it was. Richard said that Mia was the only little puppy left at the owners' and he COULD NOT leave her there!

We *might* get another dog one day. We've contemplated it many times. Maybe when the next baby is a little older, we'll get one. We have many adoptees though, so we are happy. There's Calli (Lisa and Nathan's dog) that comes and visits. Mia and Calli are like sisters. They have a love/hate relationship. And there's now Tia and Honey too. They are Robbie and Janet's dogs and we sit for them on an occasional weekend. They get along great with Mia and they do very well here. Kyra is in HEAVEN when all of the other dogs come. Kyra loves Mia. They look out for one another just like siblings do. :)

I didn't know what I was missing until I got a dog. Neither did my dad. He treats Mia and Calli like they are his babies. You should see these dogs with him. They curl up on his lap and love on him like he's the best person in the world! He showers them with attention. He's such a softie now! I love it!

Well, that's Mia in a nutshell (or is it?). Never have I met such a lazy dog. She sleeps 90% of the day! The other 10% she is eating! hehe!

No comments: