Friday, November 26, 2004

Texas rivalry....

So I'm sitting here watching the start of the UT/A&M game and I heard on the radio the other day that the Aggies were going to have their Midnight Yell Practice on the SOUTH STEPS OF THE CAPITAL Thursday night/Friday morning. Um, what is wrong with this picture? The Capital is nearly ON UT's campus. In my opinion, Austin and the Longhorns are waaaaay too nice and I can't believe that they allow that to take place. Imagine if the tables were turned....a bunch of "t-sips" march together and yell on A&M's campus the night before the big game. I don't know but something tells me that it wouldn't go over very well with the Aggies. I mean can you imagine? The thought of the Aggies welcoming that idea makes me laugh because it would NEVER happen. I'm sure the Longhorns are intimidated enough just by wearing their burnt orange shirts to Kyle Field. They don't need to schedule a "yell" on the campus to prove a point.

This is what a lot of you don't know. Way back when, in the good ol days when the A&M/UT game was played on Thanksgiving Day, we used to go....EVERY YEAR. I've seen first hand how freakin LOUD and OBNOXIOUS fans from both sides can be. It's ridiculous and funny all at the same time. If you've never been to a game and want to see first hand how important the game of football is in the state of Texas, then I suggest you go. It's really unbelievable. These fans make the great high school rivalries seem like pee wee football. This game is for all the glory....all the glory in the state of Texas for the next year. And then it happens all over again. This brings me to my next point.

I'm neutral on my position. I'm not sitting here yelling at my TV. Instead, I'm taking it all in like a tourist in Vegas. I don't get all fired up. I don't lose sleep over the game. I don't call up my friends and say, "Did you see that?" The game is just that to me.....a game. I do always want to see a good close game though. That makes it even more interesting. The aftermath of this game is like no other....people are usually elated or banging their heads against a wall.

The funniest thing is seeing a sea of maroon shirts with a burnt orange shirt in the middle or seeing a sea of burnt orange shirts with a maroon shirt in the middle. That shows you just how divided this state really is on this day.

I just hope that every fan on either side escapes without serious injury because this day and this game is brutal.

Football rant over. May the best team WIN!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey, girlie! I'm glad you're enjoying the game! I don't watch, but I do remember those Thanksgiving day games. My grandparents would bet against each other, and we had fun listening to them yell at the t.v. and each other all day. Day-after games just aren't the same.

I'm not a Texas fan, because I'm not a fan of any Texas teams, and because the Austinites (not you) are always so obnoxious about their team, and because Kevin went to OU. I have an aunt that graduated from A&M, and one from Baylor so I like those teams, but I usually root for anybody who's playing against UT!

And I hate it when Kevin insists on wearing his OU shirts to the mall- I just KNOW one day it's going to get us SHOT AT!