Friday, November 05, 2004

Only in Austin.....

I moved to Austin in late June 1998 after we were married (Richard had already been here a year). I had lived in Victoria, College Station, San Antonio, and finally settled in Austin. It was a nice city. I always wanted to live in Austin. I just couldn't believe that I had finally gotten there.

But, soon after moving here, I found that things were different. I saw some things that would have made my dad say, "Cover your eyes." Only I couldn't. It was right there staring me in the face. It's scary at first because you're not used to everything that you are exposed to. But, after living here 6 1/2 years, you get used to it and it just becomes second nature. Yes, Austin is "weird", but I love it.

I've seen some strange things since moving here. If you ever want to see first hand what I'm talking about, just go visit 6th street on a Friday or Saturday night. You'll see an array of people. I'm not going to stereotype right now though. I'll leave that up to you.

What you have to remember is that Austin is diverse. That's what makes it "Austin". I love this city (and yes, I still consider myself a resident even if I live on the outskirts....just like a Mission Valley or Inez resident would call Victoria "home"). I feel comfortable now.

If you've been in Austin lately, you'll see that Austin has a city-wide "homeless" campaign. They are on every street corner with their signs. The sayings on the signs are hilarious. I know that there's a brain behind this whole campaign. It almost seems like it's a business. The saddest thing is that these people DO NOT look like they are homeless. They have nice clothes (at least the ones I've seen do) and nice jewelry. They are drinking a Coke and smiling. They don't look broke at all. I've seen (and smelled) a lot worse. People are giving them money left and right. They do little jigs and just look happy. I've never given anything to them because I like to know where my money is going. When they take it, who knows where it'll end up. Also, I'd rather NOT roll the window down and give them money because if I did, then Miss Tattle Tale (Kyra) would report to Richard.

Today, I saw the funniest thing ever. I was stopped at a light and at the light to the left of me, there was a guy that was cleaning peoples' windshields (for inquiring minds, he was at Stassney and 35). Remember those guys at the gas stations that used to do that? He had a bucket out there and everything. He did this all while people were stopped at a light! He had a system down too. He'd do 1-2 cars per red light. It was amazing. I guess he was just working for tips. I felt like telling him that he should have been down in South Texas a few months ago when those pesky Lovebugs were so bad! He'd be a millionaire now!

Honestly, I live in (ok nearby) the best city in the world! I'd have serious withdrawals if I ever had to move!

No comments: