Friday, May 04, 2007

Mr. Thyroid and I.......

I went to the doctor today to follow up on my appt. from last week. They drew blood last Friday and I thought that I was just having my cholesterol and my T4 levels checked, but to my surprise, they checked A LOT of different things....glucose, triglycerides, oxygen levels, good cholesterol, bad cholesterol, etc. Everything came back perfect! My T4 level was within normal limits, but it was a little on the lower end. So, my doctor wants to keep me on 50 mcg of Levothyroxine for 3 months and then have my blood checked again to see if my TSH level has changed. I'm fine with that. I'm feeling a lot better this week and I can tell that I'm gaining some energy back, which is great for as active as I am. I am in a better mood too and I feel like I can think clearly again and don't have that "brain fog" going on. So, I'm getting there.

Since my T4 level was within normal limits, it looks like we caught this thing in the nick of time. The T4 test tells us exactly what the thyroid is doing. Since that test wasn't that bad, I am probably considered "subclinical hypothyroid". That means that we caught this in its early stages.

Ever since my mom died, I am very much in tune with my body and I really try to pay attention to what it's telling me. Sometimes I obsess over every little thing. So while being so aware might be a blessing, it can also be a curse. I do live with fear in the back of my mind that I will die young. However, I am dealing with that issue. I'm talking to a therapist about it. She has a lot of good things to say. She tells me all the time that she sees that I'm taking care of myself the best that I can and have all of my bases covered. But the fear will always be there. It'll never go away. I think that all I can do now is trust in God and have faith and just live every single day to the fullest! I have learned to appreciate the little things.

There's not much new to report with the family. Things are sort of hairy here this week. Richard is going back on shift tomorrow night. Mia is a lazy dog. Kyra is reading better than I could have ever imagined at this age. Maeve is screaming in pain all day long and I'm losing it. I think she's cutting her 2 year molars. Zoe is pooping and peeing all over the house again. Lovely. I told Richard that I'm *this close* to putting her up for sale. Anybody want a cute chihuahua who is a pain in the rear? ;)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Pick up a copy of this month's FITNESS magazine- there's an article on hypothyroidism and the women they interviewed who have it. All kinds of similarities to other health issues you've had in the past are mentioned AND there's a bit of controversy discussed. Some doctors are now operating by the rule of thumb that any reading over 3.something indicates a problem while others are steadfastly sticking to the age-old guidelines.

Seriously, when I read that article I kept looking for your name as one of the women interviewed, it sounded that much like you.

As for puppy training, well... it has to be followed religiously and to the letter until the dog has been accident free for 3 months. Only then can you consider her fully housebroken. You've got to watch her like a hawk when she's out (and that doesn't mean the girls are watching her ;) ) and if you can't, she can't be allowed to roam. Serious commitment.