Sunday, July 01, 2007

Get out!

Today I was in Old Navy without the kids and witnessed the complete meltdowns of two children. The first was from a little boy that must have been a little older than Maeve. I saw him in the store for a while and he was a terror. He kept yelling and kicking and screaming. I overheard whoever was taking care of him (couldn't tell if it was his mother or his nanny/babysitter....she truly looked young) say, "You sure are being mean today!" Um, RED FLAG! He must have heard those words because from there it totally went downhill. He was kicking her, screaming, laying on the floor, etc. It was bad. She continued to shop and keep her cool all while he was screaming and carrying on. I kept thinking, "You need to get him out of here woman!" Nope. Clearly, there were stares from other people. She did end up buying something and yes, he remains screaming at the top of his lungs at the checkout line. Ugh. FINALLY, the girl left and was carrying him out of the store like a sack of potatoes. I refuse to call her his mother because I'd hope that his mother wouldn't put up with that nonsense. But she might have been his mother. I don't know.

Tantrum #2 came from a little girl that was with her mom and they were checking out ahead of me. The little girl wanted a mini football. Her mom gave it to the cashier to scan and she had a fit! OK, first off, I have always explained to my girls that yes, the cashier will take it away for a bit and then you'll get it back. That seems to make the process a lot easier. This mother didn't do that. Then after she did check out, the little girl was still there kicking and screaming on the floor and the mom is like, "Bye! I'm leaving! Are you going to stay here?" Geez! Take your kid already and get the heck out of here!

Apparently there were a lot of tantrums in Old Navy this weekend. The girls at the front talked of some really bad incidents that happened yesterday. And one woman told them, "Sure makes you want to use birth control, huh?" OMG! I just laughed. Too funny!

My rule of thumb is that if my kids EVER did that in a store, we would drop whatever we had in our hands to buy and leave immediately. I don't tolerate behavior like that at all. Luckily, my kids are good in stores and I can talk sense into them pretty easily. We ate out last night and they were perfect. Honestly, it's all about making them understand where they need to act appropriately. And if little two year old Maeve can understand that, then anyone can! It's not the kids' fault, it's the parents'.

3 comments:

Chelle Y. said...

Brendan had a complete meltdown at the Amusement park the other day. We just sat on a bench,away from everyone else, while he "calmed down."

I do not know what happened. He was never one to throw a fit. We did take care of the problem, and he was fine the rest of the day, but I was two seconds from leaving the park. He must have known, because he stopped instantly.

Anonymous said...

My hat's off to you, my dear! That's a good rule of thumb.

Why ARE there so many ill-behaved kids out in public these days...? I know it's now always avoidable, but... we were NEVER allowed to act like that...

Old Navy was having an awesome half-price sale, yes? I had to make myself avoid that store this week.

Kim said...

I was just floored because I DO NOT allow behavior like that at all in public. And these mothers acted like it was no big deal. Was it an everday thing? Geez!

Old Navy was having a sale on EVERYTHING and it was a few days before the 4th, so you know that everyone was buying all of their red, white, and blue gear. I should have realized that!