Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Childhood nostalgia.....

I read one of those "You're a child of the 80's if......" lists the other day. Wow. Those were the days.

There were so many places in my hometown that we frequented that aren't there anymore. One that comes to mind was the big waterslide out on the Houston Hwy. That thing was HUGE! Just think of one of those slides at Schlitterbahn. That's what this thing looked like. My cousins would come and we'd all go up there and slide down. It was the best! Too bad it's not there anymore.

Another place that *is* still there that we frequented is the skating rink. My nephew had his birthday party there the other weekend. We couldn't go this year, but we went last year. That place hasn't changed much. They still do the "Hokey Pokey" and they still do the Limbo. I had some of my best birthday parties there. I even held hands with a boyfriend there while skating. Ahhhhh....memories.

I remember when the bowling alley would have "teen night" on Sunday nights during the summer. You could bowl for $1 per game and the shoe rental was just $1 too! You never knew who you might see there, so all of the girls were primped up! Looking back, I find that hilarious! It's a smoke-filled bowling alley for goodness sakes! It was fun though.

Gosh, the 80's. Some of the things that come to mind from that list are wearing jams, rolling up jeans, those clips that held your shirt in a knot on the side, Kaepa sneakers, big bangs, banana clips, birthday parties at McDonald's, jelly shoes, friendship bracelets, spokey dokes on my bicycle, Garbage Pail Kids, Slip N' Slides, "Not", and slap bracelets.

Those were the days....some of the best of my life. I wonder if Kyra will look back on her childhood and remember certain toys/fads like I did. I hope that there are one-of-a-kind toys/fads out there right now that kids will appreciate. They won't last forever, but the memories sure will.

2 comments:

Jen said...

And those "units" belts- like tube tops worn around your waist over your tee shirt. And rolling up your tee shirt sleeves. Slouch socks. Wearing two pair of slouch socks. Wearing one shirt on top of another and then rolling up the sleeves. Candy cigarettes, red licorice shoestrings, pop rocks, mixing every flavor of soda at Mr. Gatti's to make "suicides" and then seeing who could drink them with a straight face...

Kim said...

I couldn't figure out a way to explain the sock thing, but I did that and the multiple t-shirt thing! Oh, and those candy cigarettes....loved them. I think that they were ALL SUGAR though. They tasted like plain sugar to me! Never did the Mr. Gatti's thing either. That sounds gross!