Saturday, February 05, 2005

Grown Up?.....

So what exactly constitutes being "grown up"? I was thinking about this earlier today. Are you grown up when you graduate high school, college, move out, get married, have a baby? A lot of people will say yes. I beg to differ. I can name people in their 20's and beyond that I don't think have fully grown up yet. Heck, I've done most of those things listed above and I don't even consider myself grown up. Why? Because life is a learning process. You live and learn. You make mistakes and you pick up and move on. It doesn't matter how "old" you are. Age is just a number. I've seen more lively 50 year olds than 30 year olds. Life is just what you make of it. Just because you look old doesn't mean you are. I guess I'm starting to think about things like this since I'll be turning 30 in two years. I think the best years of my life are yet to come. So, I embrace getting older. I'm very positive and keep thinking that things HAVE to get better with time. I'll take whatever God gives me.

I am glad that I'm having my kids when I'm in my 20's though. My mom passed away when I was 14 and my sister was 11. My parents had been married for 12 years before I came along. I would have loved to have an extra 10 years with my mom. She had me when she was 30. I had Kyra when I was 24. 6 years is a LONG time....especially when it comes to childhood growth. I just hope that I have a LOT of years with my girls. I want to see them do things that my mom didn't get to see me do. That's why I pray to God everyday for my health and those that I love.

I don't remember my mom's voice anymore. It's been so long since I've heard it. Am I upset about it? Not really. With time, things that were so fresh on your mind fade away. I think it's all part of the healing process. I still hear Granny's voice though. I can imagine what she'd say if I picked up the phone right now and called her. She just had that unmistakable tone. I miss her. The last time I visited with her, she told me that Kyra would never remember her. Kyra STILL asks about her. We prayed a lot for her when she was sick. Kyra is coming to terms with the fact that Granny "isn't sick anymore and is in Heaven." That's A LOT for a 3 1/2 year old to comprehend, so I'm shocked and proud all at the same time.

I'm sorry about such a downer of a blog, but that's my mood today. It's yet another weekend and the sun is not shining. It's going to rain for the umpteenth time. I just feel blue. I don't feel well today either. Must be hormones. I just want to go to sleep...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Being pregnant brings on the most WONDERFUL dreams! Ahhhhhhhh!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Hey, Girl!
Wow, growing up...I can tell you for SURE that this move out-of-state that I am facing is another step in the "growing up" process. I can just tell it's going to take alot of personal growth and change for me to get through it. I don't always want to do it, but it's getting more and more obvious that this is a step toward growing up.

Seems like every time we think we've grown up, we come face to face with another big step to take in that direction.

I don't think any of us is ever done growing up. Maybe in my 40s I'll feel differently about that, but I definitely feel that our 20s are still too young to be considered mature, seasoned, experienced adults. Early 30s, too. 35, maybe...

I don't know, you know the saying about men getting better with time, like wine...is there a saying like that for all of us?