Thursday, February 10, 2005

Valentine woes.....

Yep it's that time of year again and every year, I have the same feelings as I did the year before. Valentine's Day is not extraordinarily special at our house. It's a day that comes and goes. If I get something, then I'll consider myself lucky. Usually, I do not. I don't think it's because I'm not loved. I just think it's because "cards get thrown away" and "flowers die". Ugh. Excuses. It's really the thought that counts. Today, Kyra made us a card at school and I love it. It's simple and it's her art. I could see how proud she was when she presented it to me. Her little scribbles mean the world to me. I think that's enough. Or is it?

Why is Valentine's Day so publicized? The minute the Christmas decorations come down, the hearts and cupids come up. Sure it's nice to celebrate love, but why does every radio station, TV show, store, and restaurant have to shove it in my face? To me, it's a prized competition. Good thing I don't work in a big office or I'd have to send myself something just to look good. Ladies thrive on how their guy did. Was the gift big enough or was the restaurant expensive enough? I feel sorry for the guys that have HUGE expectations to meet. I'm easy to please. If I don't get something, so what. If I do get something, then it's a pleasant surprise.

In a few months, my family will be complete. My heart will be overflowing with enough joy and love to last a lifetime. I can't wait.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I hear your woes! Kevin leaves for Spring Training every year on Valentines Day- and it's usually a day where I have to go to work! Last year I had to leave for work, leaving him at home to head out across the country.This year will be the same. It sucks! We've had two good Valentine's days in the duration of our relationship. The first year was the first time I'd had a boyfriend during any kind of holiday. We went to Olive Garden and did the flowers, candy...the whole bit. That was really neat! The next year he cut out a bunch of construction paper hearts and threw them all over the apartment and had all of the lights off and candles lit when I got home from work. Again, flowers, candy...

Then the third year Spike got kicked and his leg was broken and had to be amputated the day before Valentine's Day. There went any money we would have spent, and I came home Valentine's Day after having a gynecological exam and teaching water aerobics to a house that reeked of a litter box needing to be cleaned AND had to cook my own nice dinner. I don't remember the next year, except that he was gone and it sucked. Last year, we went to a movie and got ice cream. That's what I've planned for this year- and I'm paying for it, too.

I'd rather not observe that holiday, either.