Saturday, February 19, 2005

Ugh. Nascar.

The Daytona 500 is tomorrow. Lovely. I don't like Nascar at all. I just don't understand the whole concept of grown men racing around the track as fast as they can with their "holier than thou" attitudes. I guess that they felt the need to create a sport that would appeal to rednecks around the country and Nascar seemed to fit the bill. With sponsors like Budweiser, Miller Lite, Jack Daniel's, and Jim Beam how could it not be?

I have to admit that it might be fun to be a spectator in the stands though. I bet there are some really heated arguments or even some fights to see if you're lucky. You know that half of the crowd is "drinking up the sponsorship" anyway. With so many drivers to root for, there's gotta be tension. It's not like going to a football game or a baseball game where you root for one team or the other. So, it's gotta be somewhat interesting.

I was so happy that football season ended and now 2 weeks later, all I hear is "Nascar this and nascar that...." Ugh.

Is it BASEBALL season yet? Now there's something to smile about!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Which one of the Blue Collar comedians is always saying Tampax and Always/Stay Free/Kotex should sponsor NASCAR? Those jokes are always funny.

I cannot believe I'm finally moving away from the darn Drag Boat Races- to INDIANAPOLIS. Can you say Indy 500? I am dreading it. I'd better not be able to hear engines where I live!

One of my good friends is a NASCAR fan, and I didn't know it when I mouthed off with a trashy redneck comment. BOY was he pissed at me! We were working in a restaurant at the time, and I thought the races were on because it was a bar and there weren't any other sports to show. I almost didn't get my friend back. Me and my big mouth. I wish that men would take a break from sports when there weren't any real ones on. Why do they have to watch golf, nascar, curling, bowling and poker? Is it really that good of a substitute for football/baseball/basketball?

Hockey is on strike this season. I like hockey, but I don't really care or miss it. March Madness is coming up soon. YUCK.

Kim said...

Richard and I were talking about the hockey stuff the other day. I just laugh. I know that hockey has its "die-hard" fans, but it'll never be as popular as baseball or football or even basketball. OK, so they want more money. Why? So they can fight even more? Ugh. It amazes me that guys aiming to put a little puck in a goal can have such egos. I mean isn't football and basketball even more contact sports than hockey is? Maybe hockey players aren't fined big enough for getting into brawls because the entire bench clears. I don't know.

Jen, you're probably sick of hearing about baseball since Kevin is a trainer for a AAA team, but BRING IT ON! I can't wait!

Oh, and we went to a Round Rock Express game last year. We had a blast! Kyra loved it!