Wednesday, January 26, 2005

A different child....

The child inside of me is BEGGING to be different. I just know it. I remember all the prodding with the doppler to try to find her heartbeat. I thought that she was just being stubborn. Turns out, there's a reason why her heartrate is so hard to detect.

When I went to the doctor on Monday, I had noticed that they had written "anterior placenta" on my chart. I didn't think anything of it, but started to wonder when I got home. So, I looked up some info. on the internet. I also called my doctor today to ask her about it. Here's what's going on with my placenta.

Usually placentas are "posterior" or sitting behind the baby. Thus, the baby is in front and the placenta is toward the spine. Mine is "anterior" which means that it's in front....between my belly and the baby. The good news is that the placenta is high. If it were low, then I'd have to worry about placenta previa (the placenta covering the cervix). Placenta previa usually brings bleeding and bedrest. So, thank God mine is sitting high. They detected all of this on my ultrasound back in December. It must be somewhat common because neither my doctor or the ultrasound techs seemed too concerned.

I can still try for a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) with no problem. I think right now, my doctor is more worried about this baby's size. I'm measuring on schedule though. I always measured big with Kyra, so this is quite a relief. We shall see. Oh, and I read that with an anterior placenta, you are more likely to suffer from back labor. Lovely. Give me that epidural NOW!

I passed my glucose test and I'm NOT anemic (I was with Kyra). More good news!

I'm almost 27 weeks and moving right along. April will be here soon!

Aren't you glad you read my blog today? I'm sure you learned a lot more than you wanted to! But, I needed to vent and what better place to do it than here!

No comments: