Friday, October 20, 2006

So let's revisit high school biology.....

Today I was just staring at Maeve and couldn't believe how blue her eyes are. It got me thinking about biology and genetics and how she acquired those "baby blues" in the first place. Remember Punnett squares in biology? I drew one to see if I could remember. I did it correctly (I think). Richard and I must carry a recessive gene for blue eyes. Maeve had a 1 in 4 chance of getting blue eyes and she did! Here's an example of what I'm talking about.

Me: Bb (brown is dominant)
Richard: Bb (brown is dominant)

So, between us, the possible combinations are:
BB (dominant)
Bb (dominant, recessive)
Bb (dominant, recessive)
bb (recessive)

Maeve is bb, thus she has blue eyes. I think I read somewhere that now blue eyes will be dominant for Maeve, so in order for her to have a brown eyed kid, she'd have to marry someone with brown eyes. There's a really good chance that she'll pass on her blue eyes to her kiddos.

Anyone else want to talk genetics? LOL!

3 comments:

Jen said...

Nice work! I love-hate those things!

Kim said...

I love them. They didn't make sense then, but they do now. Funny huh? ;)

Jen said...

I agree. I hated them the first time around but I totally knew what I was doing and aced it in college. So easy!