Saturday, October 28, 2006

Speaking of songs.....

Since Jen's blog entry from yesterday, I've been thinking a lot about songs and the way they make me feel.

My all-time favorite "put me in a good mood" song is "My Sharona" by The Knack. I just want to turn up the radio and dance like crazy when I hear that song. Who doesn't? ;)

I'm totally ticked off because I love the song "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin, which is the Top Gun theme song. But two things happened to totally ruin that song for me.
1.) Tom Cruise is such an ass now and that makes that song unlikeable. How can you not think of him and that movie when you hear that song?
2.) Jessica Simpson covered it. 'Nuff said.

Then there are songs that I could go without ever hearing again. One that comes to mind is "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion. We get it. The Titanic sank. I want to too when I hear that song over and over again. :(

And there are the songs that are timeless hits that people are trying to cover. They discussed this on the radio one day. There are songs that SHOULD NOT be covered because nobody else could sing them like the original artists. Nobody and I mean NOBODY should touch songs like John Lennon's "Imagine", The Eagles' "Hotel California", Michael Jackson's "Thriller", or Eric Clapton's "Layla". I just hate to hear wonderful songs get butchered by someone who thinks they can sing it better. Ugh.

I could talk songs all day and night. I adore music. I think it's because songs put feelings within me and every time I hear a certain song, I am taken back to that time in my life. I remember what was going on.....good or bad. Therefore that song is timeless. It will always have meaning.

Then there are newer songs that I've heard that I love because of the clever lyrics. That happens a lot with Texas music. The artists are some of the most talented out there. They don't "sugar coat" anything. The words to their songs are real. You can tell right away that their heart and soul go into those songs. I think it adds even more meaning to a song when you know that the artist really does believe in what they are singing about. I'm proud of the little "movement" that these artists have established.

Then there's the music that I heard nonstop growing up. I swore I would NEVER like it. But I do. And it's all thanks to the Dujka Brothers! :)

7 comments:

Jen said...

"NOBODY should touch songs like John Lennon's "Imagine", The Eagles' "Hotel California","

I agree- because I hate both of these in their original form! and, GAWD! aren't there enough versions of "Fly Like an Eagle" out there, already? That is the third song I hate the most.

"Then there are newer songs that I've heard that I love because of the clever lyrics."

Like the one that goes:

"love this ever-lovin' truck that keeps breakin' lovin' down..."
?

:)

I like that one.

I heard it for the first time in August on my way back to MF. I completely cracked up and laughed until I almost couldn't drive anymore!

Kim said...

Jen, who sings that? I'm totally in the dark. Or do you not know who sings it either? LOL!

Jen said...

Uhhhh...crap...Jack Ingram? I like his stuff but I don't have any of it. What I absolutely CANNOT find the one from the dance hall scene in Hope Floats. IMDB lists the artist and title but it isn't on any of the albums I've looked into.

It's a fun country song. Instead of singing "F- this" about everything, he uses the word "love". Only country could be so clever!

Kim said...

Yep, they are clever. Some of them are a little too clever. You know what I mean. ;)

Jack Ingram is cool.

I don't know what you're talking about in Hope Floats. I'll have to search for that.

Jen said...

I believe it is called "Coming Back for More".

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jen said...

Sorry, that video wasn't complete. Here's the full thing.