Thursday, October 19, 2006

Thursday Thirteen.....

Thirteen of my fondest memories of my Granny......because I miss her so much right now.

1.) There were many Easters where we would be at her house and attend Mass on Holy Saturday. Granny didn't go to church till Sunday morning and because Easter mornings were so busy for us (we traveled to my aunt and uncles' house), Granny played the Easter Bunny for many years.....setting out candy and goodies in the baskets that we had left behind.

2.) Every single time that I set foot in Granny's house, there was an aroma of something either on the stove or in the oven. Yum!

3.) My Granny always answered the phone with a "Hello" in the same tone of voice. I can still here it today. Those of you who have talked to her on the phone know what I'm talking about.

4.) I will NEVER, EVER forget my Granny's explanation to me as to how my mom died. She was there. I wasn't. I can't even begin to fathom the pain that it must have caused her. You give birth to a child and never expect to witness their death as well. It's just not fair.

5.) My Granny faithfully read scripture from the Bible every night. When we would spend the night with her, she would whisper them so that she wouldn't disturb us. I always knew what she was doing though.

6.) My sister and I always took turns sleeping with Granny when we stayed with her. The Christmas before my Granny died, it was Kyra's turn to sleep with her. Granny was so excited. I'm glad that Kyra got to snuggle up next to her just like we used to.

7.) On the heels of #6, I stayed at my dad's house the night before my wedding. I slept in my own bed with Granny of course. She kept reassuring me that everything was going to be ok tomorrow for my big day. I felt comforted. I felt safe.

8.) In Feb. of '99, I had a miscarriage. My aunt brought my Granny up here to stay with us because she's the person that I wanted around. I had to have an emergency D&C, so Richard and Granny stayed with me overnight at the hospital. Richard slept on a cot. I woke up that morning and poor Granny's head was resting on the table. I don't think she got any sleep that night. :(

9.) I miss the cards and letters that Granny sent for every occasion. She never forgot a holiday, birthday, or anniversary.

10.) I miss the recipes that Granny would so readily write down for me. I still have all of them. I gaze at her handwriting and miss her even more.

11.) I miss hearing her sewing machine. It was my goal to have Granny teach me to sew. I never learned. Granny was always such a pro at the sewing machine and could fix or mend anything.

12.) Even up until her death, Granny was very faithful to her church and took part in singing for the nursing homes and participated in Meals On Wheels. She was such a wonderful example to me and those around her.

13.) I mostly miss her hard work and dedication to her family. She loved each and every one of us. She was the glue that held us all together. :)

1 comment:

Jen said...

I still love hearing about your Granny. What a blessing it was to have such an awesome influence in your life and such a sweet presence. I'm grateful for all of your memories and happy that you have them.

I could teach you to sew. My mom taught all of us. I hate it, but it isn't hard and I do know how. I avoid the fancy stuff, though. Patterns at least come with instructions if one needs them. What with the internet, I bet it's even easier to learn.