Monday, May 08, 2006

2nd child syndrome....


"It's a good thing she's cute."

Richard and I mumble these words to each other all the time. Yes, we are talking about Maeve. This kid is just over a year old and we already have had a hint as to what to expect in the next few years.

All I can say is that I better have the following thing handy: some Motrin, some earplugs, some wine, and some hair color because Lord knows that I'll acquire a few gray hairs along the way. She's a handful. She's into everything and when I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING!

If there's a piece of lint on the carpet, she'll find it. I don't ever remember Kyra being this active. Kyra played with toys. Maeve wants to play with household cleaners, the ball on the computer mouse, various wires....you get the picture. Yesterday, we caught her with Mia's dog food. She took her bowl that was full of food and started shaking it....sending all of the food flying into the air. It was hysterical. The bathtub is another story. I told Kyra last night that I'll have to start putting about two drops in the tub for Maeve to bathe in. That's because she can't keep any water IN the tub. Even Kyra doesn't want to bathe with her anymore! LOL!

And her voice. That's another story. She babbles from morning till night. And it's not just the cute baby babble either. She's VERY LOUD! She looks at you with those expressive eyes and means business! LOL! Maybe she'll be on the debate team! ;)

She does all of this and she's not even walking yet! ACK! She's almost there, but not quite. I can't imagine what our life will be like when she's toddling around and reaching higher and higher.

So what is it with the 2nd child? I know some of you moms know what I'm talking about! Why are they soooo different from the first? I told Richard that God makes child #1 the perfect little angel so that there's a chance for a #2 to come along! ;)

14 comments:

Lynda said...

My brother was more of a terror than I was. He is second born. I think it must be a second born thing.

When my sister was pregnant, she would say my mom said I was perfect and three of me would be boring. lol. I don't know about that!

Lynda said...

BTW, this made me think of you:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/06/AR2006050600389.html

Kim said...

OMG Lynda! I love that article! Thanks! ;)

Jen said...

Heh- not always! I know quite a few couples who refused to ever have children again after child #1 turned out to be a little devil!

Kim said...

Well Jen, you're no fun! LOL!

Richard's mom prayed and prayed that she'd have a girl after having him. Turns out, she did! And my dad told me the other day that my sister was a terror. Still is! ;)

Kim said...

I forgot to say that Richard is #2. He's the "lucky" middle child. ;)

Jen said...

Well, I wasn't any trouble until I acquired siblings, then my reign of terror began- at least until the quiet, well-behaved no trouble middle sister grew up, went to college got educated and overly-religious and became the holy rolling argumentative terror I am related to today.

The girls I babysat, the eldest was just like me, the youngest (who much later in life became the middle child) was quiet, obedient, and got all the attention for being chipmunk-cheeked and big eyed. Then big sis started picking physical fights with her and they both went out-of-control for a while...

Ooh, there are so many more... but I won't spoil your fun!

Kim said...

OMG Audrey! I'm in stitches over here. Blind? Your poor mother!

Yep, paybacks are hell. Get ready girlie! ;)

Jen said...

LOL, Audrey!

My step-cousin's baby was so ornery, short-tempered, hot-headed, colicky and (as she grew up) spoiled that they didn't have another one...until 14 years, divorce and another "oops" while unmarried later.

Emily said...

You know why she is your 2md, right? Because God worried if youhad her first you'd stop reproducing!

I swear I thought Julia was going to be the death of me...but she's 8 now and I'm still alive there is hope for you! LOL
(Your sanity however.....)

Kim said...

Today Maeve pinched me and bit Richard. She's a BULLY! LOL! ;)

And yesterday Kyra was taking a nap and Maeve went up to her and pinched her nose and laughed hysterically. We are beyond screwed.

Jen said...

Sounds like Maeve may require more disciplinary action than Kyra has/does and that it may have to begin sooner!

Kim said...

Yeah Jen, but I have to remember that she's teething very badly right now. She knaws on everything. Richard and I were laughing today because she was biting the recliner and the remote! I'm sure a lot of things that she does are just accidental. But when she starts doing things with the full attention of being hurtful, you can bet that she'll get a stronger reaction out of us!

Kim said...

Ugh. That was supposed to read "intention" not "attention". Ooops!