Wednesday, April 19, 2006

I want my boring life back....

Seriously, I do. When life is boring, everything is fine. And I like it that way.

So here's the game plan. My sister Lisa and Richard's mom are both coming up tomorrow night (Thursday). Richard has to go to the hospital at 4:00 tomorrow afternoon to pre-register and get bloodwork done. Then he'll go to work for a few hours (I'm thinking 3-4 hours). He can't eat anything after midnight, so I told him to have a big meal around 10 or 11 (he's used to eating at that time anyway when he works). We have to be at the hospital at 6:30 on Friday morning. Surgery is scheduled to start at 8:30. Now I've heard that it'll take 3 hours, but that is depending on what they end up doing (and if they start on time). My sister said that they'll have Richard sign a release saying that if they thought that his septum needed repairing, then they'll do it while the catheter is in there. Then they'll have to keep him for observation for a few hours. I assume that we will be there overnight on Friday night. I think it'll be 6 or 7 before they stop keeping such a close eye on him and depending if the doctor needs to see him, etc. they'll probably just keep him overnight. Hopefully we'll come home on Saturday sometime. I'm sure he'll want to rest up for a few days, but then he'll be just fine.

OK, back to the game plan....my sister will stay here with the girls. I'm so happy about this. She's more like a mama to them anyway. She's kept them before for an entire weekend, so I know they'll be just fine. Richard's mom will sit with me at the hospital and we'll keep each other company. I will make as many phone calls as I can. If you don't hear anything from me, then try my dad's cell or Lisa's cell (we don't have a land line here at the house). Those of you that are family have their numbers. Jen, I'll call you and let you know how Richard is doing. Susan, I have your numbers, so I'll call you and you can update everyone else. I'm sure Richard's mom will have her phone with her too, so those of you that have her number can call her. I'm sure she'll call Jerry and Marie with updates though. Oh and Margaret, I'll call you too. I think that about covers it. Surely you'll hear something through the grapevine. Hopefully it's awesome news. Please keep us in your prayers on Friday.

Richard is pretty nervous about it all, but realizes that this must be done sooner rather than later. He pretty much saved his own life by going in and having his nose looked at and then deciding to have that surgery. An angel must have been giving him a push. Thank God he listened.

I know that a lot of you are curious to what he's having done. The first procedure is a TEE. Even though it says that you can be awake for a TEE, he'll be out because he's also have a cardiac catheterization done. I think I've pretty much narrowed down what his condition is called. I think it's a Patent Foramen Ovale or PFO. He doesn't actually have a hole though. The septum is more like a flap instead of a wall.

I think that's everything you need to know. I'll keep you posted as best I can and if you don't hear from me, then you'll probably hear from someone else.

Love to all!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Here's hoping life will go back to "normal" soon.

Kim said...

Thanks Susan and Jen! Susan, I emailed you back and put both of your numbers in my phone already.