Tuesday, July 11, 2006

The name game.....

If you missed out on how Mia got her name, then you'll have to go here and read that post. I think it was the second one ever on my blog! LOL!

When I found out I was pregnant with Kyra, I immediately started thinking about names. I had 10 (and I'll say 10 because 40 weeks divided by 4 is 10...not 9!) months to search for the perfect name. I knew that if I had a boy, he'd be named Jaden Lee. Jaden wasn't too trendy at the time and Lee is Richard's middle name. So that was set. As for a girl, I had no freakin clue. Finally, one of my friends let me borrow a baby book. I had thought about Kelsey for a girl. Then I came upon the name Kyra. I liked it. I wanted to pronounce it just like it's spelled, KY-RUH (rhymes with Tyra), not KIER-A. I suggested it to Richard and it finally grew on him. I knew that I wanted to use Marie as a middle name. Marie is just a very common name in my family and in Richard's. His sister's name is Marie and my sister's middle name is Marie. I found out at 29 weeks that I was indeed having a girl. I was so happy. After having Kyra, I was happy that I didn't have a boy because Jaden was becoming very trendy and was gaining unisex (boy or girl name) notoriety. For those wondering, Kyra is Greek and means "ladylike". LOL!

As for Maeve (MAY-V), her name was decided way before she was even conceived. I didn't tell Richard this though! ;) When Kyra was about 2 years old, we were at the doctor's office and we were sitting in the waiting room. All of a sudden a nurse comes out to call a patient and she says, "Maeve". Hmmmm....interesting. I think I like it.

I have a few conditions when it comes to naming my children (and since my Mia is pretty much my kid, I'll include her too). One condition is that the name has to be short. My mother named me Kimberly, but called me Kim. Because Kimberly was on every flippin roster at school, in Kindergarten, my teacher wanted me to write Kimberly. Um, no. That's too freakin long! I was upset and after my mom had a talk with my teacher, she let me write Kim. Thank God. So I didn't want to put my kids through that same hell. That's why each of them got short names. Another condition that I have is that the name must not be popular. I graduated high school with like 5 Amy's. I guess Amy was a popular name in 1977. I didn't want my girls to go to school and be known by their last initial. I went to school for 13 years with an Amy E. and an Amy M. Ugh.

As soon as I picked Maeve, I started thinking about middle names. Elizabeth seemed like a perfect fit for Maeve. I still think it is to this day. :) When I was 22 weeks pregnant, we found out we were indeed having another girl! I was thrilled beyond words! I'll finally get my Maeve! If Maeve were a boy, she would have been Brady Andrew. I just like the two names together. Richard LOVED the name Brady. Of course he'll never get his Brady. Oh well. And for those wanting to know, Maeve is Irish and means "joyous".

No comments: