Thursday, August 17, 2006

"It's a small world after all....."

This evening was living proof that we do live in a small world. We attended back-to-school night at Kyra's school. We walk in and become overwhelmed with sign up sheets, general information sheets, bus info., etc. Luckily, the teacher had a wonderful idea to cover a table with paper, so the kids could draw on the table. Kyra loved that. Maeve did too....so much that Richard had to clean her off with some wet papers towels. You see, Maeve thought that the markers would be quite tasty. *sigh*

Anywho, I see Richard dart across the room and start talking to this guy. I figured that it must be a friend of his from work or something. I thought to myself, "Cool! He'll know another dad this year!" Well, boy was I wrong. The guy was from Victoria (our hometown). He and Richard were in Little League together and played baseball together all throughout high school. But wait, there's more. The guy, his wife, and their three kids are living with her parents just down the street from us. But wait, there's MORE. They are about to move into a house that is behind the one right across the street from us. Because we are on a corner, their street intersects ours. So, we will live about 20 seconds from each other! Weird, huh?

Richard is thrilled. He'll have a buddy to hang out with and someone to come over and BBQ for. He's almost as giddy as Kyra is!

Speaking of Kyra, she met her teacher this evening. Her name is Mrs. Hicks. She's very nice and extremely outgoing. She went out of her way to make sure every kiddo that entered the classroom felt comfortable. She complimented Kyra's pigtails. Kyra was telling me that she wanted to walk up to other kids, but that she was a "little shy". She's always like that until she learns a name. I also had a mom walk up to me and say, "Don't I know you from Hays Hills?" Uh huh! Turns out her little girl is in Kyra's class this year AND she is a teacher out at Hays Hills this year. She was a teacher the year before last, but took last year off because she had a baby. She was asking if Maeve was going to be out there this year. Sadly, no. I'm so bummed. I wanted to wait till she could get a little more out of it. So, she'll be going next Fall when she's 2.5 years old. I think she'll be more than ready. Like I said, she was all over Kyra's classroom this evening!

We also toured the library and the cafeteria! Kyra will eat from the cafeteria a few times during the next few weeks. I'm very proud of my "picky eater" for that!

So it was a success! All I keep hearing now is, "Is it Monday yet?" *sigh*

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yay! Something positive for everyone! You get a new friend, too!

Don't forget me! You're all I've got left!

Kim said...

Susan, I think we'll just hang out around the house this weekend. My dad is coming up on Sunday, so he'll see Kyra off to school with us on Monday morning.

Jen, how could I forget you? ;)