Monday, August 14, 2006

Knight in shining armor?

Sometimes I have a read at certain blogs or message boards and have even listened to a friend or two (totally not naming names) and I have to chuckle when I hear what they are looking for in a mate. It seems like the women want a handsome man that rides in on a white horse or better yet, picks them up and sweeps them off of their feet (think "Officer and a Gentleman"). The guys want a Playboy Playmate or a drop dead gorgeous woman with the perfect measurements, blonde hair, blue eyes.....you get the picture.

I'm not saying that it's BAD that they want this in a mate. I AM saying that the chances of them finding one that is "perfect in every way" is slim to none. If you do find Mr. or Mrs. Right and they are the man/woman of your dreams, then Congratulations and Good Luck! ;)

I think that love finds you. I think it happens when you least expect it. There's nothing like that feeling of "new love", but as I tell my friends, that feeling won't last forever. You'll have to get creative and find other ways to make it work. Sure romantic love is wonderful, but is it realistic? I don't know many men that buy their significant other a card or a bouquet of flowers everyday. And women, what have you done for your man lately? I think some of these women need to quit expecting so much from their man. Instead of bitching about what you don't get, try working on your relationship. You might be surprised at what you find.

There are ups and downs. When kids come into the picture, your relationship totally changes. Right now, I'll say that Richard shows me that he loves me by cooking for the kids, bathing them, or putting them to bed! LOL! How's that for romantic? It might not be romantic, but it's REAL. That's what happens in real life.

So I might not get flowers or a diamond ring, but I do get things that a lot of people don't....genuine love and respect. There's two of us in this relationship and we work together. We help each other out. We respect that the other has hobbies and things that they want to do. He gives me a break by watching the kids and I do the same. He calls me from work after I put the kids to be to see how our evening went. It's not much, but it means a lot to me.

It's the little things......

1 comment:

Jen said...

You and me both. I never looked for the fairy tale. And those girls that do are in for a rude awakening.