Monday, December 05, 2005

Walmart adventures....

You know this time of year it's always interesting to venture into Walmart and see what you'll come across.

First of all, EMERIL is going to be at our Walmart tomorrow evening! My mother-in-law would be here in a heartbeat if I told her. She LOVES him. I used to really like him, but lately he's such a cheeseball on his show that I quit watching it. I do, however, love the Food Network. I've just grown accustomed to some of the other personalities on that channel. And this is my favorite time of the year to watch it because of all the holiday food and decorating ideas. Last night, I watched a Gingerbread Championship. Damn I wanted to eat all those houses! LOL!

Anywho, I was laughing at the slew of gift cards they have at Walmart. They have one for every personality. There must be 30 different kinds. I just don't see the point though. OK, so Kyra gets a Disney Princess gift card from Walmart. She can't keep the darn thing. She has to take it to Walmart and use it. So then it's gone. What a waste. In my opinion, a gift card is a gift card. They all do the exact same thing. Ugh.

Walmart definitely isn't stupid. They have all sorts of ploys that work to make money. You go there shopping for a few things and end up with an entire basket full of stuff. They make everything readily available so that you don't have to shop anywhere else. I swear that adding a grocery store is the smartest thing that the store has ever done. People shop on one side of the store just to pick up the items that they'd normally get at Walmart and while they're there, they think, "I need to pick up some milk or bread...." and then they buy all of their groceries as well. Sure their prices are cheap, but that doesn't matter. You always end up spending over $100 anyway. Again, this is how they make their money. They are smart. We are stupid.

I have a rant about the checkout line though. Notice that they have those little turn-styles. When you check out, the cashiers bag your stuff and then turn it so that you can put the bags into your basket. I swear that the person that invented this is a wackjob. The person before me didn't check the entire turn-style before leaving, so guess what happened? Yes, she PAID for stuff that she bought and it got left there. Now this has happened to Richard before and he was TICKED OFF, so I know to make sure that I got all of my stuff. I came home today and told Richard about the lady in front of me and he said, "Well, you know that they just put those items back on the shelf and they've made a few extra bucks." Ok, so you take how many times that happens in a day and multiply it by all of the stores in the area and multiply that by all of the stores in the state and then multiply that by all of the stores in the country. Walmart is ripping all of us off! We are suckers!

I'm really beginning to think Walmart is evil. ;)

3 comments:

Jen said...

What, they don't have t.v.s in your Wal-Mart yet? Do they have "Self checkout" lanes, yet, either? I swear the Wal-Marts here and in Indy take forever just because they axed half of their human checkout lines in favor of the "self check" kind. I'd rather have the human interaction, plus the self check ones take longer. Each person being their own checker takes longer since they have to find the bar code on everything. Employees do it all day long, so they get it down really fast!

Decorated gift cards used to be a cute novelty. Now it's "Oooh! What's THAT?!" oh...its a gift card...

I miss sackers.

Kim said...

Yeah, they have the self checkout lanes. Nobody uses them. What a waste of time. A two person job is faster than a one person job, know what I mean?

Lynda said...

I like the self checkout lanes, but my husband can't work them.

I don't really care for Walmart though. I am a Tar-jee (you know, Target) girl.