Friday, June 02, 2006

Let's talk soaps.....

So the one that I'm going to talk about today is "Guiding Light". My mom used to watch it when we were kids, so naturally, we got hooked on it too and I've watched it on and off for years. Now this might not be the case with the soap(s) that you watch, but mine has changed a lot and I don't like it. I hardly ever tune in anymore because it's gotten so ridiculous.

I don't understand why when an actor or actress leaves the show, they immediately decide to recast the role. Hello? Give us a chance to get used to the person being gone first! They throw a stranger into the mix and then I'm all confused. The acting is not the same and it's just so weird hearing a stranger being called by a familiar name. You don't see actors/actresses in primetime being recast. If they leave the show, then the writers must concoct a reason why they aren't shown anymore. And believe me, nine times out of ten, it's better that way. Leave good enough alone and move on.

Another thing that they do that REALLY ticks me off is that they kill off wonderful characters and try to bring them back years later as someone else. WTF? You made the mistake the first time. Live with it. My beloved characters are GONE because of you. Don't bring them back as someone else that I will NEVER get used to. Ugh. This is my biggest pet peeve of all of TV. Dumb executive producers.

On that last note, please stop bringing every Tom, Dick, and Harry onto the show. I cannot get used to all of the new people! And stop firing the veterans! The veterans make the show! It's non-existant without them! We love old fashioned love stories when characters are happy for more than 5 seconds. Quit making everyone sleep with everyone else. The "Who's The Daddy?" storyline has been done so many times. It's over. Done. Finished. If you want to let your creative mind run free, then surely you can do better than that.

What ever happened to Friday cliffhangers? I guess they don't exist anymore. I used to hang onto Friday's episode all weekend long and I couldn't wait for Monday to arrive to see what happens. Instead on Friday after the show, there is a "spoiler" for Monday's episode and you don't even see Friday's storyline on Monday's episode. You have to wait till Tuesday or Wednesday to see those characters again. No fair. So much for trying to be "suspenseful". By that time, nobody gives a damn.

Again, the storylines are ridiculous. Cousins sleeping with cousins? Who's the daddy? Breast cancer, but not telling your family? "Accidentally" kissing your sister-in-law? Come on! These things never happen in real life! If you want to connect with your audience, give us something that we can believe in for more than 5 seconds.

I'm banning this soap from my TV and my mind. I'll only tune in if I'm beyond depressed and need a good laugh. ;)

1 comment:

Jen said...

I was just thinking about those same things yesterday. Actually, alot of your reasons are the same reasons I quit watching Grey's... I got enough of the bedhopping and other drama in my daytime shows- I didn't want to see it in the evenings, too!