Sunday, June 18, 2006

A new week!

I'm sooooo glad that last week is behind us. Good Lord. I don't know how much more I can take of my husband and his stupidity.

Last Tuesday was his surgery to repair his PFO. That went great. Fabulous, in fact. We left the hospital around noon on Wednesday. Then the trouble began.

My lovely husband DID NOT read his post-op instructions, so he came home, ripped his gauze off of his incisions at his groin and took a shower. Dumb move. By that night, he was bleeding badly from one side. Lovely. He gauzed it back up again and put pressure on it throughout the night. By the next morning, things hadn't changed, so off to the ER we went. We went to the same hospital that he had his surgery at (even though it required a LONG trip across town). I'm so glad we did. To try and stop the bleeding, they placed a sand bag on top of his groin for an hour. That didn't work. It soaked right through. Great. They called the doctor that did his surgery. He was at another medical center performing a procedure. So, he sent a tech that witnessed Richard's surgery down to the ER to help. The ER doctor gave Richard some shots of Epinephrine and placed a lot of pressure on it with his own hands. Finally, the clot formed. Thank God. What a fiasco. The reason why his blood had a hard time clotting is because he's on Plavix (a blood thinner) and will have to continue it for 6 months post-surgery. We got to the ER around 9:30 that morning and didn't leave till around 2. I was soooo ready to come back home. I did not want to have to spend another night at the hospital (especially since this could have been avoided because Richard was so stupid).

It's now Friday and I want to rest before chaos ensues with Kyra's party on Saturday. No such luck. Richard was cleaning (!) the house and straightening things up outside when I hear him holler loud and come running inside saying that he needs some ice. He had dropped a boat weight (small boat anchor) on his entire left foot. It looked bad. It was black and blue and swollen immediately. He couldn't walk on it at all. Lisa and Nathan got her on Friday night and Nathan decided that he wanted Richard to go into the ER (Nathan and Lisa are PTs and PTAs, so they know a lot about this sort of thing). So, Richard and Nathan left around 8 and didn't get back till after 11. It wasn't broken. Thank God. Richard was so upset with himself. Finally, we all got to bed around midnight. We were going to get up early the next morning and get things ready for the party and head for the park. Or so we thought.

I woke up around 6am on Saturday morning and my first thought was "Crap!" It was raining. I'm talking torrential downpours here. Ugh. I came in here, turned on the computer, and looked at the radar. There was no chance in hell that this would be over with by 10am. So, I called some mothers and told them that the party was moved here at the house. Richard and I looked at each other that morning and said that there was no way we were going to break Kyra's heart and cancel it all together. So, Lisa and Nathan got up and so did Debbie (my mother-in-law) and we all cleaned house and moved furniture around to prepare for the party. I must say that with even so little time to prepare, the party was a success! We ordered too much pizza and had a ton leftover, but that's ok. We sent some with Dean and Melissa and my mother-in-law will take some with her tomorrow. Richard and Kyra will have some to eat off of all week. The rest I can freeze. Kyra had so much fun with all of her friends and got some neat gifts. The pull-string pinata was a hit, even though the strings came off and the candy didn't come out. LOL! Richard had to pull the hole open a bit more so the candy could come out.

So no park for the party. I'll get my deposit back. I wonder if I can get the rest of my money back since we didn't use the facility at all. I'm going to call this week on that.

After everything settled down yesterday, I took Kyra to see "Over The Hedge". Very cute movie. Kyra loved it and I did too. We laughed a lot. She was happy about her party and getting to spend some time with mommy. That's all that matters.

Richard is spending his days on the sofa. I won't let him do much for fear that we'll have to change our address to 601 ER Drive. LOL!

I'll post party pics soon, I promise!

5 comments:

Jen said...

I thought about you that morning when the sunny skies turned black at 10 am and it poured until 1pm- I wondered from whence it came and worried about you all day!

Kim said...

LOL! I was calling the moms to let them know that the location had changed and one of them said, "You know, you're the first person I thought of this morning." *sigh*

It went well though, so I can't complain.

Lynda said...

Wow, when it rains it pours. Oh, um...that could be the wrong expression to use in this case.

Poor Richard! I hope he read the post op instructions now! It sounds like the couch is the safest place for him right now. lol! Hope he feels better and I am glad the party went great!

Jen said...

Dear Richard-

THEY CUT YOU OPEN! Modern technology aside, it still takes quite a while for things to seal themselves shut properly.

Lynda said...

I was just perusing again, and thinking good thing he didn't get clobbered by the kid holding the pinata stick.