Saturday, September 02, 2006

So how long has it been?

Maeve goes to sleep at night to a certain CD....one that contains sounds of ocean waves, guitar, and thunder. Thunder. Gosh, I can't remember the last time I heard a clap of thunder. I walked into her room tonight and stood there thinking that I really miss the stray thunderstorm. Heck, I miss everything that comes with it.....the thunder, the beautiful or scary lightning, the gusty wind, the pounding rain. Nothing is better than being inside during a rainy day and knowing that you don't have to go anywhere and get out in it.

I hated thunderstorms when I was a kid. When my sister and I were home alone and one hit, we'd flee to the neighbor's house. No kidding. I was so scared. Things have changed now. I always say a quick prayer to be protected during one and then go to comfort Kyra. She's not scared of them....just more anxious about what's going on. She'll insist that we light a candle or grab a flashlight in case the lights go out. LOL! Mia is oblivious to them. Thank God. A lot of dogs freak out including my sister's dog, Calli. She hates them.

I really hope we get some rain soon. More than anything, I think I need it for piece of mind. I'd like to know that God can still make it rain! ;)

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ahhhh! another way you and I are alike. I love thunderstorms. The ones I've seen in other parts of the country just don't hold a candle to a good ol', noisy, Hill Country blowout. I miss those. I always feel like nature is finally expressing the things inside of me that I can't seem to let out.

I sleep best during those times.

When we were little, we used to do rain dances in the front yard, and my parents would wake us all up during a middle-of-the-night thunderstorm, swaddle us in blankets and sit with us in front of the window so we could all watch it until it was over.

I hope you get your wish!