Sunday, November 27, 2005

7 months!

Miss Maeve will be 7 months old tomorrow (Monday). Where did the time go? I was just looking at pics of her as a newborn as I was putting calendars for my dad and my MIL together for Christmas. She was so tiny! Now she's grown into this extremely energetic infant who is still very fond of mommy. She's getting her share of snuggles from daddy too though. I can't imagine my life without her and I'm so glad that God blessed me with another little girl.

We are still breastfeeding with no end in sight. It's a little harder now physically because Maeve is such an acrobatic nurser. She doesn't get distracted by the TV or lights....rather she's just a wiggle worm and doesn't want to sit still for long. Our nursing sessions are 5-10 minutes tops. Then she's done. She's not a child that likes to fall asleep on the boob either. She'd rather be put in her crib and left alone.

As I look back over these 7 months, I can't believe that we are still nursing. It's amazing. It's something that I'm very proud of because I didn't do it with Kyra and I was determined to make it work this time around. Richard is proud of the fact that we haven't had to buy one ounce of formula. I'm proud of the fact that I've given her the best start in life and hope that I can still squeeze a few more months of nursing out of her yet. It's really just more than nutrition. It's a wonderful bonding experience that I will never forget. The next time I see a mom nursing in public, I'm going to stop and say, "What a wonderful thing you are doing for your baby." They need that encouragement. In a society that frowns upon nursing in public, it's very important to encourage mothers to nurse their babies whenever and whereever they please. I truly hope that one day nursing is not regarded as "gross" and "uncalled for". I think if people were a little more educated about the many benefits, they would change their tune.

I watched a documentary today about a child that was born without a face. The little girl was adorable and stole my heart. She's going to endure many surgeries throughout her life. I pray that God gives her and her family strength. She was such a cutie and very smart too! That show made me realize how lucky I really am. All of my "problems" seem so small.

Hug those you love tonight. I know I will.

No comments: