Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Thursday Thirteen....

So I was watching this show last night on VH1 and decided to come up with a list of....

13 of my favorite childhood toys (in no particular order):

1.) Sticker books- I had several sticker books. I loved collecting stickers. My favorite were the scratch n' sniff ones. I used to have friends over to have a "sticker party". LOL!

2.) Slip N' Slide- We had a yellow one. I remember when my cousin stayed with us one summer and we spent countless hours outside on that thing. Gosh those summers ruled!

3.) Barbie- My sister and I had everything Barbie. We had the Jeep, the Corvette, the house equipped with all furniture, the swimming pool, and countless cases of Barbie dolls, Kens, and clothes. We even had Barbie weddings and we had my mom be the "photographer" and take pictures! Yep, we were Barbie obsessed!

4.) Care Bears- The craze started in the 80's and I was there. I remember the exact day that we went to go to the Care Bears Movie at the movie theater. A storm came through and knocked out all of the power at the movie theater. We were sitting there in the dark and because there were a lot of babies and kids there, there was a lot of crying. When we went home, we played out in the street in the water puddles. Weird how you remember things like that.

5.) Speak & Spell- Kyra has Leap Pad and I had the Speak & Spell. It was one of the first interactive games of our generation. I only wish that Richard had one. He can't spell to this day (shhhhh....don't tell him that I told you that!).

6.) Simon- Remember that you had to press the green, red, blue and yellow in the order that they lighted up? Genius! My cousins had this game at their house and we always played it when we visited them.

7.) Lite Brite- Yet another toy that I loved! Do they make them anymore? If they do, I bet they aren't like they used to be. Those little pieces are probably choking hazards at this day in age (and what isn't?). In any case, the one that we had definitely was a vintage one.

8.) Silly Putty- Now this stuff drove my mom crazy. We loved it, but somehow it always ended up in our hair or on our shoes. Ugh. Anybody do anything fun with Silly Putty?

9.) Cabbage Patch Kids- I will never forget the Christmas that my sister and I got Cabbage Patch Kids. We wore the biggest smiles for days, even months afterward. We were in awe that they were given names and birthdays. We thought that was so cool! Kyra has one, but never plays with it. I think that Cabbage Patch Kids' 15 minutes were up about 20 years ago! LOL!

10.) Play Doh- There's nothing like it and there still isn't. What kid doesn't love Play Doh? It comes in so many different colors. You can mold it into so many different things. Heck, I think I even tried eating the stuff on a dare one time. ;) It's the one thing that allows the utmost artistic creativity among kiddos. It'll be around forever.

11.) Little People- We loved Little People! We still have all of the stuff at my dad's and Kyra plays with it. Today, the Little People aren't so "little" anymore. Again, I think they've made them bigger because of possible choking hazards. They just don't look the same. All of the vintage stuff is going for a fortune on ebay! Now I know what to do if I need a quick $500! LOL!

12.) Magic 8 Ball- We asked this thing numerous questions. Sometimes we liked the answer and sometimes we didn't. I can't believe that I actually believed this thing! LOL!

13.) Nintendo- We were still a little young when Atari came out, but we totally jumped on the Nintendo bandwagon. Super Mario Brothers ROCKED! I remember getting so mad when my sister got to a higher level than I did. Oh, and that music is still playing in my head. Ugh.

5 comments:

Kim said...

Yeah, I know I did it late on Wednesday night. Sue me. I have a ton of things to do on Thursday and was afraid that I wouldn't get around to it!

Jen said...

I thought it was GREAT!

Emily said...

LOL I LOVEd my Slip N Slide...I don't know how I never hurt myself on that thing, though...

Jen said...

You weren't a My Little Pony kid, huh?

That's what I was- mostly. That and Rainbow Brite. I had Barbies, I loved Silly Putty (I never got it in my hair, though...). Yes, sticker books,
Slip N'Slide was awesome! We used to stuff ours under the slide of our swing set, then slide down it and across the yard!
Speak & Spell rocked!My neighbor had one and we were always bugging him to bring it over. We'd play his Nintendo, too. Duck Hunt was the only thing I was good at.
Had the Care Bears and Cabbage Patch stuff. Jamie was a Lite Brite fanatic...I'd already had my fill of playing with the neighbor's Lite Brite by then... Play Doh will stand the test of time!
Ahhh...Little People...

Kim said...

Jen, I think my sister was more into My Little Pony and Rainbow Brite than I was, so that's why they didn't make the list. They were on VH1 though. :)