Monday, March 27, 2006

Update on Richard.....

Richard was scheduled to have surgery on his nose last Friday. The sugery that he was having done was a septoplasty. I seriously don't know how the poor boy breathes, so it needed to be done. Anyway, we dropped the kids off at our old neighbors' house and went to the Surgicare center. They prepped him and called me back to sit with him during the lunch hour (they were waiting for the doctors to get there). Richard had told me that when the nurse put him on a pulse machine, she noticed that it was irregular. I didn't think anything of it and actually thought that he was joking around with me. Soon she came back and said that she thought that the anesthesiologist should take a look at it. In the meantime, she said that she wanted to do an EKG to check things out further. After doing this, the anesthesiologist and the doctor came in and talked with us and said that they didn't think it was a good idea to do the surgery since it was elective and they thought that Richard should go and see a cardiologist to get clearance for it. So, all of that work was for nothing! We left there and made an appointment for today (Monday) with a cardiologist across the street.

Richard went to the cardiologist today at 3 and all he did was listen to Richard's heart and concluded that indeed, the beat is irregular. He told Richard to come back tomorrow and get a monitor that he has to wear for 24 hours (which he's pissed about). He'll take it back on Wednesday. I think that they might want to do a scan of the heart too. I don't know much because Richard was in the foulest of moods when he got home and when he's like that, you can't get anything out of him. (Sounds like a man, right?)

Anyway, Richard's condition is known as a Premature Ventricular Contraction or PVC. I'll update as soon as I know more later Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm sure he's not going to be fun to live with the next two days. :(

6 comments:

Jen said...

Kevin's in a rotten mood today, too. He called absolutely foaming at the mouth because it's "just dawned on him" that this job, this town and his graduate school work are not at all part of the entirely vague "several years plan" he has in mind. And he's just realized this while having an entire morning free at work to catch up on schoolwork- which he does, and then calles to bitch about not having time to do his school properly, do his job properly...not having time for me...I told him I was fine at the moment, to which he screeched "Well I'm glad you are but I'M NOT!" and continued on to bitch some more about staff issues, etc... and how tired he was. He WOULD NOT be pacified, no matter how much I tried to be positive, remind him he was tired from staying up into the wee hours all weekend playing video games, how he got up early to do some studying; and that maybe we should examine his schedule and make things more productive...

I swear, WHO gets PMS around here?

Jen said...

Oh, and Kevin has heartbeat issues similar to what you mentioned. He often lies down at night and feels he can't breathe and has to cough in order to do so. Mine only does that when I've had too much coffee or anxiety- as soon as I lie down to sleep, it does that skip, pause, THUMP. It started before we moved to Indy and was bad the whole time we were there. Haven't had it since we got back...

Kim said...

Oooo Jen, then I bet yours was anxiety. Have you ever had a panic attack? I had one when I was pregnant with Kyra and one after she was born. Not fun. Your heart feels like it's going to jump out of your body.

Richard needs to lay off of the Coke. He drinks 4-5 a day (so he says....I think it's more). He's horrible with that. He won't quit though. :(

Men suck. 'Nuff said. I'm sorry that Kevin is being that way. I usually can't wait for Wednesday night to come. Pure bliss, I tell ya!

Lynda said...

Kim, I have had to wear one of those boxes (twice!). It is no big deal. It is similar to a walkman without the headphones. Not to heavy. He won't be able to bathe or shower though.

I hope everything tests out ok!

(Jen - PMS is Pissy Male Syndrome, remember?)

Emily said...

Ugh, Kim....surgery always seams to make yo realize your other problems(remmber before my hip replacements it was discovered I had a heart murmur)

I hope you find more out about it...
((hugs))

Jen said...

It definitely was anxiety. I had alot of panic attacks while in Indy. The only other time I'd had one was during the throes of my last few days working at the spa. I was so overtired, overworked, overwhelmed, didn't want to be there anymore- Got to work at 6:30 that morning, unlocked the door, stepped inside and COULD NOT BREATHE. If I had listened to my body back then and quit while I was ahead, I wouldn't have gotten fired later.

In Indy, I just had bouts of panicky terror- wanting to scream, feeling restless, figety...it was horrible.