Friday, February 17, 2006

Rewind to the roller skating rink.....

If there's one place that I remember visiting as a kid, it's the roller skating rink. I swear that we probably went a few times a month and had countless birthday parties there. A few years ago, my nephew had his birthday party there. It was like stepping into a time warp. That place hasn't changed much at all! I loved it! I still remember holding hands with a 4th grade "boyfriend" and skating to the best music! I remember doing the "Hokey Pokey" out in the middle of the rink. I remember the "Limbo" contests. I remember having to skate in the opposite direction when the whistle blew. Those were such good times.

So in the spirit of those roller skating days, I've come up with a list of songs that we used to skate to. This took a little research because I couldn't remember all of them. Here are a few:

"Mickey" by Toni Basil
"Centerfold" by J. Geils Band
"Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" by Wham!
"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" by Cyndi Lauper
"Footloose" by Kenny Loggins
"The Heat of the Moment" by Asia
"Take On Me" by A-Ha
"I Think We're Alone Now" by Tiffany (*blush*)
"Higher Love" by Steve Winwood
"Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves
"Shout" by Tears for Fears
"Cherry Pie" by Warrant (LOL!)
"Here I Go Again" by Whitesnake (I've really had Whitesnake in my head lately)
"Come On Feel The Noize" by Quiet Riot
"Round and Round" by Ratt (Are you seeing a "hair band" trend here?)
.....and the song that we skated to while holding hands was "Say You, Say Me" by Lionel Ritchie

Anybody got any more favorites that I missed?

9 comments:

Jen said...

We had those, in addition to "Pac Man Fever" and "Ghostbusters"...

Lynda said...

There are two songs that I remember skating to, but I only remember them when I hear them! *blush* They were 70's disco type songs. Of course, I was taking roller skating lessons about the year you were born....77 or 78 maybe both.

Oh, and Xanadu. Did you skate to that one?

Kim said...

Jen, I forgot about "Ghostbusters"! That was a favorite too!

Kim said...

Lynda, perhaps these were some of the songs that you're talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000RS4/qid=1140199746/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3174878-8221650?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000047VJ/qid=1140199746/sr=2-2/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_2/002-3174878-8221650?s=music&v=glance&n=5174

I was born in '77 and Jen was born in '78! ;)

Lynda said...

hahaha! None of those songs, but the funny thing is that a lot of those are on the new DDR3 game for Xbox.

I was just meaning that I took lessons in '77 or '78 or both. I remember taking lessons. I knew you were 77 from your profile. ;)

I am '73. Ugh. I am the old lady.

:D

Lynda said...

I forgot to add that they were slow songs. I think one might have been Slow Dancin' (Swayin' To The Music) and for some reason I think the second song had something to do with ice.

And there is still Xanadu.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

How about "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton and the P-funk Allstars. That always reminds me of skating.

And along with the Hokey Pokey there was "Spin the Pin" at our rink. You would skate around and when the music stopped you would skate to one side or the other. Then the "skate ref" would spin a bowling pin and the side the head pointed at got to stay on the floor. This reapeated a few times and the last ones left got free skate coupons. ah..memories.

Kim said...

Pixie, that "Spin The Pin" game sounds cool!

I forgot to add that our skating rink had these cool lights and at the end of the Hokey Pokey, pennies dropped from it and kids would scramble to get the money. I still have no idea how that worked, but it was cool.

Good times.

Holly {ArtistMotherTeacher} said...

Wow Kim, little pieces of metal dropping from the ceiling—sounds kinda dangerous to me.