Saturday, February 04, 2006

Somebody stop me before I strangle him.....

Yes I'm talking about Richard. He came home this morning from work and for some reason he started rambling about guys at work and that turned into rambling about their kids. Then he has the nerve to say this gem:

"I thought that breastmilk makes kids smarter. There are guys at work whose kids are formula-fed and their kids are crawling and walking. I just don't get why Maeve isn't doing all of that yet."

Um, maybe because she's not ready yet, ya dumbass. Geez! Give the kid a break! She's just 9 months old. She could be doing all of that tomorrow! I went on to explain to him that all kids develop at different rates and probably part of the reason why Maeve isn't in a hurry is because she has a sister that does everything for her. Then I explained further that when Maeve is totally mobile (she's "scooting" or "army crawling" right now), his life as he knows it will be over with and he'll be chasing her all over the house because she'll be into EVERYTHING. I told him that he should be in no hurry for that to happen.

Then I told him to go to work tonight and ask his friends how many times their formula-fed kids have been to the doctor. I figured that might shut him up. Oh and I offered to buy a $20 can of formula and *try* to give it to Maeve if that would make him feel better. That REALLY shut him up.

I just wanted to hit him this morning. He's been nothing but supportive so far and then he comes home with this nonsense? Ugh!

3 comments:

Jen said...

God- I would have decked him right then and there. Tell him to also ask his work buddies how much older than Maeve their kids are! Geez!

"Breastmilk makes kids smarter" does not translate into "breastmilk makes your kids develop faster so that they can start learning to associate their smartness with actions" even if you're converting normal words into guyspeak. "smarter" is not synonymous with "developed physical abilities and the knowledge to associate cognition with them".

Kim said...

Some of them are actually a little younger than Maeve (born in May). But that doesn't mean a damn thing. Kyra crawled and pulled herself up to stand all in the same weekend at 6 1/2 months. Maeve is nowhere near ready to do that. It doesn't mean she's not smart or there's something wrong with her. She's just simply NOT READY!

Ugh.

Kim said...

We are nowhere near taking off the training wheels here. And she just started adding numbers like last week, but I didn't expect her to do that till she goes to Kinder in the fall.

I know! Let this kids be kids!