Thursday, January 12, 2006

I'm losing the battle.....

This time it's not Maeve, it's Kyra. Kyra is the pickiest eater on the face of this earth. I swear. You cannot get her to eat even the yummiest things that all kids love. For example, today I packed 1/2 of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch for school. Everything else was eaten except the sandwich. Fine. Tonight, I heated her some fajita chicken and made some macaroni and cheese for her. What kid doesn't like macaroni and cheese? Answer: MINE! She ate the meat, but threw a fit over the mac and cheese, so she went to her room crying and I was livid that this kid won't eat anything that I feed her. If it's not junk, then she won't eat it.

Now I have myself to blame because I think I could have had her eating better at an earlier age, but in more recent times, I blame Richard. Richard eats junk. I'm talking chips and salsa, zebra cakes, cookies, ice cream....you get the picture. That's ALL Kyra sees him eat.

So after things finally calmed down tonight, I suggested to Kyra that we make charts for her and daddy and that they have a "contest" to see who could eat the most healthy food. I wrote their names and Kyra drew the lovely horizontal and vertical lines and put them on the fridge. If you eat something healthy, then you get a smiley face. If you eat junk, then you get a big fat "X". Kyra swears that she's going to win and according to her the winner will get to go to Chuck E Cheese. Whatever kid. If this whole "contest" thing will put better food in your mouth, then I'm all for it.

These are the foods that I'm tired of Kyra eating:
-chips
-cheetos (sorry Emily)
-fruit snacks
-granola bars
-cookies
-ice cream
-popcorn
-chicken nuggets
-french fries

Ideally, I'd like to incorporate more fruit and veggies, but I'll take what I can get right now. She said that after she "beats" daddy in the contest, then we are moving to the "Big Guns" and we are challenging Maeve! LOL! (And you tell me how a kid that eats on the boob all day is going to lose?)

5 comments:

Jen said...

Take her grocery-shopping with you. I've seen alot of t.v. shows and magazine ideas, lately, about how kids being involved in things like picking out their own speciala bag of frozen fruit/veggies or getting to help put produce in the bags and weigh them on the scale helps. You remind them when you serve it that they helped pick it out and shop for it. Let her help in the easier, safer parts of the meal preparation, too- kids like to see their accomplishments.

Kim said...

I do take her shopping and she just picks out junk. LOL!

Maybe that's a reason NOT to take her shopping with me. I'd love to do that alone.

Lynda said...

Whose winning?

I thought popcorn was a "healthier" snack.

Jen said...

*snort* I just noticed my typo. I thought you did take her shopping but I posted the thought anyway. Maybe you can convince Richard to start this year's garden (it's about planting time, anyway) and get him to plant some veggies other than the salsa kind. Is there a berry-picking place nearby? Marble Falls has one:

www.sweetberryfarm.com

Maybe you can start planning weekend expeditions based on what's in season (they grow some veggies, too, for picking).

She might like that.

Kim said...

I know popcorn is healthy (without the salt and butter of course). I guess it's more the fact that she wants it everyday that's getting to me. I mean c'mon eat something else!