Monday, January 16, 2006

Strip club boundaries....

I hardly ever watch the local evening news, but I caught a bit of it tonight. It seems that a strip club is supposed to be built off of Grand Avenue Parkway and I-35 in Pflugerville. Residents that live nearby are angry and held a protest because "they don't want their kids subjected to that." Imagine my surprise when the camera pans to a small child participating in the protest yelling, "No strip club!" OMG! I nearly fell off the chair. I guess they wanted to take children out there to make a point. I would NEVER, EVER let Kyra or Maeve yell something like that though. Ugh. I just thought it was so uncalled for. If you don't want your children subjected to that, then don't take them out to a protest in the first place. Surely if they are yelling, "No strip club!" then they would have to know what a strip club is in the first place.

Know what's funny though? This place is just across the street and closer to the neighborhood than the actual proposed strip club! LOL!

http://www.grahamcentralstationaustin.com/

2 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah, sometimes protests aren't very well thought-through. People get so wound up they don't think clearly. We had to participate in one with our church, holding up signs along a road in Austin (don't remember which one) saying "Abortion Kills Children". We had expectant moms, singles, entire families...and even my cousin, the pastor's son, with his long hippie hair-

somebody drove by and yelled "Hey, buddy! Who'd you get pregnant?" I think he was all of 15 at the time...that was like 15 years ago...

I'm sure the kid you mentioned now knows more than it ever did about strip clubs. Sometimes parents are so misguided!

Lynda said...

Maybe the child was out there copying what the adults were doing. As a small child I wouldn't know what a strip club was unless someone sat me down and told me. Monkey see, monkey do.

Still, when the child is old, who knows? They might be finding themselves in lots of strip clubs.