Friday, January 27, 2006

Sitcom nostalgia.....

Does anyone else miss the good ol sitcom? It seems like they've totally gotten away from the good tv of yore. Most of the shows these days are crime shows, reality shows (and yes, I'm addicted to a few....*blush*), or "comedies" that just aren't funny enough so they end up getting the good ol ax.

Maybe tv is just going through a cycle. Maybe some shows that are more "sitcom-like" will be developed and do well. One can hope.

I really miss shows like "The Wonder Years", "Kate and Allie", "The Cosby Show", "Different Strokes", "Gimme A Break", "Silver Spoons", "Charles In Charge", "Growing Pains", "Full House" (though Kyra watches this one on Nick At Nite), and yes, even the "Golden Girls".

How come there were so many good shows in the 80's? I'm not just talking about comedies either. Is there anything that compares to "Highway To Heaven", "Knight Rider", "Dallas", "Fame", "MacGyver", "21 Jump Street", or "The Greatest American Hero"?

I pray that in the future there is a channel or two completely devoted to taking me back to the shows that were so popular during my childhood.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I'm still waiting for MacGyver to come and rescue me. I had such a crush on him!

I taped 4 Kings last night and just watched it. It was really funny! I fell out of my computer chair laughing. Crumbs has been pretty good so far, too. Last night was hysterical!

You might check out Out of Practice on CBS. It was on MOnday nights at 8:30, but they've been airing the new Jenna Elfman thing lately- I can't get into that one.

Lifetime still has a couple of hours of Golden Girls reruns on every morning and afternoon...

There will never be another Charles in Charge.

Nick at Nite, TVLand, TBS and ABC Family do a great job of maintaining the rerun status-quo. I know Kyra controls the t.v. at your house, but I bet when she's pre-teen and nuts about all the reruns like I was, you'll get your fix- they'll still be on the air.

Kim said...

I just want more and more of the "hidden gems" to reappear. What about "Family Ties", "Perfect Strangers", "Facts of Life", "Mr. Belvedere", "My Two Dads", "Night Court"? There are so many good ones!

Jen said...

My Two Dads reran on USA for most of my jr. high days. It IS about time for that one to surface again...

Family Ties and Facts... were still re-running there in my early 20s. Night Court reran before that...

Thank goodness for DVD box sets!

Kim said...

I know! I was just on Amazon. I can't believe how many of them are out! Even "Alf" is out there! LOL!

Lynda said...

I loved most of those shows too. I saw Dallas in a rerun at a friend's house though, and it just seemed hokie.

I wish they had good programming on now a days. I can't get into T.V. anymore.

Kim said...

I know. Even my beloved SNL isn't funny anymore. I miss the days when Chris Rock, Adam Sandler, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, and David Spade were all on there. *sigh*